Please sign in to post.

Euro

Has anyone bought Euro's online? If so, who do you use?
The reason I want to do this is my Debit card is with a Credit Union. They will not give me Euro's. I called AAA and they no longer do this. I really do not want to use my debit card in Europe. My travel Credit Card will charge me a rather pricey cash advance fee. I want just a few dollars for tips etc.

Posted by
6788 posts

Are you really sure you want to do that? If so, why?

Most people (and IMHO virtually all savvy travelers) simply use their ATM card -- just as they would do at home -- to pull some cash from ATMs in Europe when they need some cash. ATMs are everywhere -- just like at home -- including convenient locations near the arrival hall you will be walking through when you arrive.

Don't over-complicate this. Getting cash in France is just like getting cash at home. The machines just spit out different money.

Posted by
6584 posts

If you want some Euros prior to travel, you should be able to order some through your bank or credit card company, e.g., Bank of America. Check your bank’s website or call it and ask. There are currency exchanges at most larger airports and at some malls. While you won’t get rates as good as getting them in-country at an ATM, but you will have some upon arrival.

Posted by
4420 posts

No, don't use your ATM or debit card in Europe or wherever you travel. If it's lost or hacked they will drain your checking account. If you use a credit card to pay for things, at least they are floating you the money so it's not really a loss.

My standard advice is to open a Charles Schwab account online and put your trip money in it. There is no cost to open, you'll get slightly higher than average interest, and using an ATM with them anywhere in the world is truly free (they eat the cost).

You can order euros online, naturally there is a cost. I'm not comfortable if I don't have 50 or 100 of the local currencies in my pocket when I land. If you're near a large-ish city, there will be places that have them.

Posted by
940 posts

Read the RS book, Europe Through The Back Door - you can get in here in the store, or sometimes it's cheaper on Amazon. It is a MUST READ for anyone going over there. We re-read it almost every time we go. He goes over all of this. And much more.

We always use our Debit Card - inside of a bank - never had an issue. It's the way that is recommended - go into a bank.

Posted by
8071 posts

We just use our debit card at ATMS. We usually go into the bank lobby for this, but have also used the ones outside at post offices or banks.

Posted by
1944 posts

I've used an ATM debit card for years to get Euros and never had a problem. Since most of Europe is now almost cashless, I'd wait until the airport to get Euros.

Posted by
8468 posts

ckeenan9192, do you or a family member have an account or relationship with any other bank? Just walk in and ask them. My banks will order foreign currency for me which I pay by check, credit card, or , not having anything to do with using my debit card.

But are you possibly saying that you dont believe your debit card will work for overseas debit withdrawals? Thats a different story. Generally if its on a network like Cirrus they'll work overseas, just like they work while traveling in the US, just getting euro. Issues like extra fees or exchange rates are a different issue.

Its always best to travel with multiple cards from different banks so that if one doesn't work the other will.

No tipping in France 😯

Posted by
3519 posts

I haven't bought any Euros in the US this century. :-)

In your case, getting a few Euros at the airport is the best route. If you use cash to buy them there, the fees are minimal (no cash advance fees, but you still will have some fees and probably a crappy exchange rate).

I suggest this due to your other issues (your bank doesn't allow you to do foreign exchange locally, your AAA doesn't do foreign exchange, you don't want to use your card in Europe).

American Express used to do foreign exchange at a fairly reasonable charge, but apparently they no longer do it. Same with other options. It is just easier to use your card in Europe (debit or credit if you can find one that doesn't charge fees) instead.

Posted by
2686 posts

You don't need money for tips.

I think RS would disagree with this. Here's what he has to say on tips:

Servers prefer to be tipped in cash even if you pay with your credit
card (otherwise the tip may never reach your server); in many cases,
there isn't even a line on the credit-card receipt for a tip.

Posted by
847 posts

I think what kerouac2 was referring to when he said you don't need money for tips was that tipping is not the norm in Europe. Servers are paid a fair wage and the whole tipping culture is different there than in the US.

Bank ATMs are fine to use all over Europe. However there are cash machines (ATMs are usually referred to as 'cash machines' there) that are not associated with banks and while they will give you cash, the exchange rate is often terrible. Just make sure the cash machine is attached to a bank. Going inside to use it (during hours it is open) will help in the rare case that the machine eats your card. In over 30 trips and using ATMs all the time this has never happened to me but I guess it could. I usually travel with two different debit cards so I'd have one as back up. But never needed it.

Posted by
7570 posts

I think the concerns over using a Debit/ATM card are a bit overblown, Millions and Millions of Europeans routinely use ATMs with no issues as have most members of this forum. Debit cards enjoy the same protections found with credit cards, including fraud protection.

Using a bank affiliated ATM is good general advice, but do not assume to do so does not mean you will not encounter fees and DCC (exchange rate offers), or potentially have problems. I tend to use an ATM that is convenient, however, as has been mentioned on here many times, I use them less and less, using credit cards and contactless pay for almost everything.

Posted by
162 posts

Sometimes I buy a postcard, croissant, or ice cream cone from a vendor that does not accept credit cards for small purchases. I had the same issue, not able to order Euros, through my credit union. I also have a bank account so that’s where I go to order Euros. I agree that while in Europe, if I need more Euros, a bank ATM is the place to go. They often have lobbies open after hours providing access to ATM’s. My experience is that I get a better rate at a bank ATM versus an airport ATM. Rick Steves’ book is a must read every time I head to Europe. Following his advice, I use my Master Card credit card everywhere I can. It has no yearly fee, and no international fees for purchases, and 1.5% bonus rewards on purchases. I never use the credit card to get Euros since that would be a cash advance that generates high daily fees until the balance is paid. Master Card and Visa are accepted everywhere. I’ve traveled with relatives who tried to use an American Express card. It is not as widely accepted. Rick Steves’ books are invaluable for explaining tipping in Europe. The tip is included at cafes and restaurants but I always leave a few Euros if the service is good.