Please sign in to post.

Eiffel Tower

Requesting tips from folks who have recently visited the Eiffel Tower. Is it worth going all the way to the top? Many, many years ago I did that during August and the crowds were a nightmare that I still can’t shake.
Will be there in midJune with 12-year old who wants to go all the way up.

Please advise.

Posted by
8035 posts

you answered your own question. You have a 12 year old who wants to go to the top so of course it is 'worth it' -- IMHO it is not worth the trip without going to the top. There are lots of equally good views in Paris and many of them free -- but the top of the tower is a singular experience. Took a 12 year old April 9 and she loved it.

Posted by
181 posts

The top is definitely worth it. Went May 2018 using Fat Tire Tours which made it easy. I thought the crowds were worse on the 2nd level personally.

Posted by
11301 posts

Absolutely! You 12 year old deserves to go there at least once! Perhaps when you went there were no reservations? We found it reasonably well controlled so not mobbed when we went.

Posted by
6788 posts

Listen to your inner 12-year old and go to the top.

Posted by
32 posts

I was in Paris in November 2019 and I didn't go up the Eiffel Tower let alone consider it.

I was given advice by a family friend specifically not to because of the sole reason that the Eiffel Tower is such an iconic landmark of the Paris skyline and it is the one thing you can't see when you are on it.

Instead I went to the Montparnasse Tower and enjoyed a sweeping view of Paris, Eiffel Tower included.

Posted by
482 posts

It is a must-go because your 12 year old wants to. We took our granddaughters to the top when they were 12 and 9 and they loved it.
I would imagine the Eiffel Tower is always pretty crowded in high tourist season (when you went, in August). After all, it's one of the prime tourist attractions in Paris. We went in late July, but the crowd didn't take away from the experience. I suppose that's a matter of individual taste. I imagine your 12 year old will love it and will be disappointed if you don't go.

Posted by
818 posts

fyi, there ARE days where it's closed (and not just b/c of weather) and you can only go to the 2nd level.

Posted by
340 posts

We went all the way to the top yesterday. Yes, it was worth it. The wait was a bit long to go back down, and my feet hurt, but it was worth it. I've heard it said that you can't identify landmarks from the very top, but I did not find this to be true. I could tell what a lot of things were. It is an amazing view, not to be missed, especially if you have a twelve year old who wants to experience it. My thirteen year old looked up at the tower and said no thank you and stayed at the bottom while I went to the top with my 17 year old daughter. My husband doesn't like heights either and stayed at the bottom with my daughter while she got her portrait done while they waited.

Posted by
2123 posts

We visited the ET on Saturday May 28. We pre-purchased tickets to the Summit but it was closed (apparently due to windy weather). First time ever in probably 10 visits that we were unable to go to the top :(

Yes, it's worth it. Just a heads up that the ET is a mess right now. They are painting. Lots of scaffolding and some areas are blocked off.

Posted by
8035 posts

I don't understand the top closings. We went about 10 years ago in the pouring rain and the top was open.

This April when we arrived on a sunny day the top was closed -- luckily for us the line WITH reserved tickets was about 70 minutes to the elevator and by the time we got to the second floor they had opened the top back up and so we were able to go up. There were not real lines although there were lots of people on the Tower.

The views are best from the second level -- but it is exciting to be at the top.

Posted by
8 posts

Thanks again to all for sharing your experiences. I ended up buying tickets through Flat Tire tours (got the last 2 tickets for date/time we are available—just in the nick of time!). All tickets from the ET site were sold out for the day we are available.