Please sign in to post.

Eiffel Tower

Hello! Curious to learn experiences with seeing the Eiffel Tower. Is it worth booking one of the many tours offered to ensure a time? Or is that a waste of money? I know that purchasing directly from the https://www.toureiffel.paris/en site can only be done during certain advance time periods (based on when you are coming) and that they sell out fast apparently. Would appreciate any thoughts. First time there for myself and adult daughter in mid May and hoping to do as much advance planning as possible! Thank you - this is such a great forum!

Posted by
822 posts

No need for an expensive tour, there's loads of info on the monument at the various levels.
and if you miss the window to buy online (because why would you buy in advance, esp if you don't know the weather), you absolutely CAN purchase day of.

Posted by
317 posts

No need for a tour. We have always gotten tickets in the past, you just have to be on the ball and buy them as soon as they are available. We forgot to get ours on the first available day once and all that was left was the ticket+champagne option, which we took. It is certainly a must if you haven't done it before. If you've missed the window for tickets you may be left with no other option but a tour. Of course, you can always do the tower on your next visit. Good luck.

Posted by
2545 posts

Eiffel Tower tickets are released in portions, never all at once. If the date you want is not available, keep checking.

Posted by
201 posts

Going to the top of the Eiffel Tower was anti-climactic for me. We finally made it on our third visit to Paris! The crowds, the warnings of pickpockets, and the champagne bar being closed the evening we were there contributed to it being a disappointment. Following Rick's advice as to how to snag tickets, trying to book them at 2am our time was no fun, especially struggling to correctly input my cell # when barely awake!!

Personally, viewing the Eiffel Tower from the Seine as the evening lights started to sparkle and from top of the Pantheon on a brilliant sunny day were much preferred. I also love walking beneath the tower to gaze up at the incredible construction of this renowned monument.

Posted by
6509 posts

Going up to the top of the ET is a "must do" for lots of people, and I'm glad I did it years ago, but I also found it to be a lot of work and acrophobic because of the "open" structure. A good alternative might be the Tour Montparnasse, much easier to ascend and with a view that includes the ET. It isn't as high, but it may be a more interesting view because you see more detail and less haze. I'll probably return to the TM on my next trip, but feel no need to revisit the ET up close for the reasons other posters gave.

Posted by
37 posts

We were just recently there. I didn't realize how quickly the tickets sold out, but checked every day and managed to purchase tickets to the summit about 2 weeks in advance. They were for 9:30 in the morning, when the tower opens. If you don't manage to purchase tickets in advance, my recommendation would be to get there early (9:00 at the latest) and get in line for tickets. They have 2 security checkpoints--one to just get into the tower area, and then another one to enter the tower. There were people who had just purchased tickets who got through the 2nd security area faster than we did with our pre-purchased tickets! Anyway, I also do echo others feelings that going up to the top can be anti-climactic. For us, it was foggy and we couldn't see very far. Definitely be near the tower at night when it's lit up, and it twinkles on the hour for about 5 minutes!

Posted by
6546 posts

To me, going up the ET is a check the box item just to say you did it. In three trips there we’ve never gone to the top. There are other places in the city where you an get a good city view at other than ground level. Each to his own.

Posted by
54 posts

I really appreciate this all so much. I have been considering not going up the TE at all but rather seeing it from a distance, etc. Seeing all of your feedback and suggestions has solidified this for me. Thank you! I am sure my daughter and I will appreciate the extra time being in the city, etc., instead of this!

Posted by
822 posts

fyi you can do ALL the things.
first trip i did 2nd floor ET and Tour Montparnasse; this next trip, I have ET Summit + champagne scheduled and will probably also do Tour Montparnasse and am adding Arc de Triomphe. It's your trip, do what you choose.