Please sign in to post.

Eiffel Tower

We want to visit the Eiffel Tower and go to the top. I've seen several options.....thoughts??

1. Purchase advance ticket to access from the bottom

2. No advance ticket, climb the first 2 levels (free?) and purchase a final ticket to the top at the second (?) level

We are an athletic family and like the idea of #2

Posted by
731 posts

I like your #2 idea better - going in mid November it would be a bummer to buy advance tickets and have it be a cloudy, rainy day.

You can climb to the second level for 7 euro (5 euro for kids 12-24 years old). I've done it, and it's not bad at all. Actually it's pretty cool to see the view as you're heading up. Plenty of wide landings to stop and rest. Stop at the first floor and watch the movie and take in the views before heading up to the 2nd level. Once there you will need to stand in line to get tickets to the top.

Posted by
32733 posts

or you may find that the second level gives sufficiently cool photos and atmosphere that you decide not to go all the way to the summit.

Posted by
7209 posts

And don't forget the higher you go on the ET the more crowded it gets.

Posted by
8 posts

The stair walk up the Eiffel is no joke and we saw more than a few people that regretted it once they finally made it up there. Its a lot farther up than it looks.

Posted by
7026 posts

There are no advance walk-up tickets, line is usually short, in Nov there probably won't be any line. If, when you get there, you decide not to walk you can always just buy tickets to the top and stand in line. Lines shouldn't be very long in Nov.

Posted by
2030 posts

I walked down the Eiffel Tower stairs, and it seemed to take forever. I would never walk up them. But if your family is very athletic perhaps you will not mind. Wouldn't recommend if anyone suffers from vertigo though, looking down through the grid work is quite daunting!

Posted by
1014 posts

Around the Tower, there are groups of people who want to separate you from you money, cell phone, ipad, etc. Keep everything under lock and key and in front of you. The gold ring scam is very prevalent here. Persons selling Tower key chains, etc. abound also. Just don't. Groups of young ladies will approach you with a sign asking if you speak English. While reading it, you will be pick-pocked. Speak Klingon, Cherokee, or gibberish to them. Just walk away.

Posted by
1059 posts

If you are interested in the Eiffel Tower, I highly recommend you download the app "Tour Eiffel, Official Visitor Guide HD." It is a great app and is full of information and pictures. I would also recommend the book "Eiffel's Tower" by Jill Jonnes. I think you would enjoy your visit to the Eiffel Tower even more with some knowledge of the history of it.

Posted by
2466 posts

If you want to climb the stairs, you don't need advance tickets. The lines are short - if you want to see what the experience is like, just Google "YouTube Climbing the Stairs Eiffel Tower". You'll hear lots of heavy breathing, but if you're fit, you'll be fine.

If you want to go to the top, it isn't advisable to purchase advance tickets due to the fact that the weather can be really lousy. There is always a chance that access to the Eiffel Tower will be closed, if the weather is really bad.