Please sign in to post.

Eiffel Tower

Is the view from the top of the Eiffel Tower that much better than the second level of the ET?

I am not planning on doing dinner, just viewing the landscape.

Posted by
7034 posts

You can see farther from the top, but the view from the 2nd level is better for photos, and you can actually tell what you're seeing. I went to the top once just to say I did it, but I prefer the view from the 2nd.

Posted by
504 posts

Judy, When I visited the Eiffel Tower, I went to the second level. I thought the view was fine. I'm told that it's hard to distinguish buildings and sites from the top. Everything is just a blur from the top.

It's important to book an advanced ticket. I did that and waited in line for about five minutes before I was allowed to go to elevator. On the day I was there, people who showed up without advanced booking must have waiting in line for two hours.

Posted by
6509 posts

Another option altogether is the Tour Montparnasse, not as high as the Eiffel top but higher than the second level, and with a view of the Eiffel and much else (and no view of the unattractive Tour Montparnasse itself). Less crowded and out of the weather. Doesn't have (by a long shot) the Eiffel's iconic status but does help you see Paris from above, which is well worthwhile from any vantage point.

Posted by
671 posts

We obtained our Eiffel Tower access by booking a tour that included an evening boat tour of the Seine and the Eiffel Tower. The young guide was excellent at pointing out points of interest and providing excellent history of the Tower. We were on the Tower at dusk and after dark, and the view from the top was wonderful (albeit very windy). We had to wait in line quite a while, but we weren't doing anything else that night anyway.

Posted by
127 posts

Donna, I have looked at the web site and last night I could buy tickets to the upper level. They were not sold out yet so I thought I would ask before I bought them.

If I buy a ticket to the top, will I still have to wait in another line to go up to the top after we reach the second level?

Posted by
127 posts

Donna, I have looked at the web site and last night I could buy tickets to the upper level. They were not sold out yet so I thought I would ask before I bought them.

If I buy a ticket to the top, will I still have to wait in another line to go up to the top after we reach the second level?

Posted by
1369 posts

Judy, yes you would have to wait. You take the elevator to the second level, get out and follow the signs to the line for the third/top level. The plus is, it can wrap around the outer edge of the second level providing excellent view for photos as you work your way to the elevator. As you near the elevator the line becomes the standard Disneyland/movie theater zig-zag. It can be very windy and cold on the top.
Heading back to Paris myself at the end of May & taking the girlfriend to the top, will be her first time in Paris.
Enjoy.

Posted by
2130 posts

Hi Judy, just saw your follow-up questions. Brushtim is correct. There is another line to go from the second to third levels, but the line is much shorter.

I've been to the top several times and I think it's totally worth it. Last year (May 2015) we purchased advance tickets online for 6 p.m. They waved us right through (zero waiting time) to get to the second level. We stood in line for about 10 more minutes to get to the top. It was great.

I love the vibe of the area around the Eiffel Tower. I stood at the end of the Champs de Mars (park) and used my I-pad to take videos of the Tower lighting up and twinkling. Just beautiful.

Hope you have a great time in Paris!

Posted by
127 posts

Donna, I did get my tickets for the top of the Eiffel Tower. I got my tickets for the 1730 time slot. I did not want to go when it was already dark. I hope to stay up at the top until dusk to see everything lite up in Paris.

Thank you everyone for all the tips.