Please sign in to post.

Eiffel Tower

We will be in Paris for only a day and a half. Is it worth it to go up in the Eiffel Tower or should we just go look at it? There are so many things to see and do and so little time.

Posted by
584 posts

It was a highlight for me. I made reservations so we would be at the top at sunset. When we came down, we stopped on the 1st floor (which is 328 steps from the ground) and sat in the bar watching the lights twinkle on the hour.

Posted by
13808 posts

To me the "worth" of it is purely personal. I do not like heights. I went up in about 1973 and that was it. To me going up has no worth but for others (like mnannie!) it makes the trip.

Do YOU think this is something you want to do? Or would you rather spend your time elsewhere.

There is no right or wrong answer!

Posted by
3 posts

I was climbing the tower. I think it's not worth the time. I advise you to walk around the city and visit the places, it will be much more interesting

Posted by
407 posts

I've been to Paris three times and have gone up to the top of the Eiffel Tower each time, so for me, it was important. For an upcoming trip in September (first time back since 2001), I'm going with two friends who have never been to Paris before and it is on their "must do" lists. We will be there for four nights, so we will have the time.

Posted by
14 posts

Personally, I prefer the view from the top of arc de triomphe. The Eiffel Tower can still be enjoyed from a distance.

Posted by
2094 posts

It’s a personal decision. The first 10 times I visited Paris it was a “must do” for me. You can of course view it from many other places but it’s really not the same as being on the ET. If you do decide to go, get tickets in advance so you don’t waste time standing in the ticket line (everyone goes through security).

Posted by
479 posts

I have to agree that this is purely a personal decision. We've eaten dinner and lunch on the Tower and have been on it when it was sparkling. I don't regret those trips but also don't think it's essential to enjoying Paris. Looking up at it, especially when it is sparkling (on the hour), is also pretty impressive.
Our first time in London, it was essential that I got to shop at Harrods, but I doubt that's a must-do for very many people. It's your trip. You get to decide.

Posted by
500 posts

I love Paris and will be going for the 8th time next month. The ET was the first place we walked to on our first trip. I love looking at the ET. I have never gone up and so far don’t feel like I’m missing out. With 1.5 days there I would come up with your priorities and decide from there if the time needed to go up is available without compromising your other priorities.

Posted by
9 posts

Thank you all for your responses. We have decided that we will go view it but not go up, since we have such a limited time in Paris. We will save that for the next trip! All your responses were very helpful.

Posted by
3809 posts

Personally, I prefer the view from the top of arc de triomphe.

I would agree that is a better view, though I guess going to the top of the Eiffel Tower is a more iconic experience. I've been to Paris twice, including last April when I was in the city from 8 am to 6 pm with someone who had never been there in the past -- I went to the top both times.

Posted by
7981 posts

I don't think it is about the view -- it is the experience of being atop the Eiffel Tower. Obviously the view is something -- don't go if it is fogged in -- but mostly it is about being there.

Posted by
394 posts

I found it a thrilling experience to be at the very top looking out over Paris. It was one of the top activities i wanted to do. Interestingly, the morning I went (mind you this was April 2004), there was almost no line. I think I got to the base about 10:00 am and waited maybe 10 minutes for my ticket and went up the first elevator and then the second. I was one of maybe 4 people at the top. Not a big fan of building heights, but the view was incredible, and one of my most vivid memories from Paris.

Posted by
869 posts

"I don't think it is about the view -- it is the experience of being atop the Eiffel Tower." Absolutely!

The INTERIOR of the Eiffel Tower is a Party, it's a Happening. You are with other revelers who want to be exactly where they are--the enthusiasm is contagious even if you weren't already excited enough. Walking up/down all the stairs and standing on the glass floor can be both terrifying and exhilarating at the same time. You are in the open [en plein air] and you feel it!
If this is a #1 for you, go for it. You don't have to stay long.

While I love the view from the Arc de Triomphe, it is enclosed until reaching the top floor and does not have the same feel as the Eiffel Tower.

It also makes a difference if you've never been to Paris before. Have you? I agree with another who said that you should make a list of what you want to do and rank order your choices. Please come back and let us know. Enjoy!

Posted by
2599 posts

Going up the Eiffel Tower was a definite must-do for me--my fear of heights ended up not being an issue and I went all the way to the summit and marveled at the views from all sides, probably spent a couple hours. I must say that as I came out of the metro station and looked up and suddenly there it was, looming over me, I felt a great surge of emotion. I've been many places and seen many things that were personally important to me, so this reaction took me by surprise. I think it's really worth the time to go up & explore, but possibly on a short visit you may not have time to factor it in--Paris is full of so many wonderful things!