Please sign in to post.

Eastern Pyrenees hiking recommendation

We are returning to Paris from Barcelona mid May by car and am looking for a mountain town en route in the eastern half of pyrenees with good hiking for a 2 night stay. The idea is to get a good 4-6 hr day hike ( moderate difficult ) in before heading back towards Paris. If you had to pick one town for this stop where would it be ? It can be French or Spanish side of the border.

Posted by
6916 posts

I would not pick the Pyrénées because it does not really break the long drive back to Paris. You'll still be looking at an 9-10.5 hour drive from the eastern Pyrénées depending on where you go.
Have a quick look at Gorges du Tarn area (base villages include Le Rozier, Sainte Enimie) and Monts du Cantal (Murat, Salers), which are closer to the mid-way point and also very good for hiking.

Posted by
8 posts

Balso, I should have been more clear . We actually have 2 more nights en route to Paris after our mountain stop. Hoping to find a place in the dardogne or loire valley for those last 2 nights on the road so I think we can stop in the Pyrenees. I am a big fan of the Alps so was hoping to do at least one day of hiking in the Pyrenees.
I will look at the gorge suggested however as we are looking for a midway stop going south to Spain after we leave Paris when we first arrive and the gorge sounds perfect. It's there a specific village recommended there as a base ?

Posted by
1826 posts

You can stop 2 nights in Ariège. which is on the French side of the Pyrenees.
There is a large choice of possible hikes and interesting sites to see such as the Cathar castles, the cave of Niaux.
Ariège is located about 3h30 from Barcelona.

https://www.ariegepyrenees.com/en/

But balso is right, to reach Paris you will have to drive around 9 hours.

Posted by
6916 posts

With another stop on the way to Paris, for sure you can stop in the Pyrénées ! I am no expert when it comes to Eastern Pyrenees so I will leave that to others.

To answer your question regarding gorges du Tarn: the most touristy village is Sainte Enimie, but it is also the prettiest, arguably. It depends when your trip is: I would avoid it between 14 July-20Aug due to crowds. Around le Rozier would be a bit more convenient, and it is still quite charming.
Otherwise, the most impressive stretch of the gorge is between La Malene and Les Vignes. Both are really small settlements, but Les Vignes has at least one hotel, and both have B&Bs.