Please sign in to post.

Easter in Paris

We will be arriving in Paris on Easter with 3 kids under 10. Any tips or things to consider for Easter or Easter Monday which I understand is a major holiday? I’m wondering if we book an Easter dinner or lunch the next day somewhere a little more celebratory and child focused. Any thoughts or tips appreciated

Posted by
2551 posts

It is generally not necessary to book cafés, but I always book restaurants, holiday or not. Restaurants, other than corporate chains, do not open much earlier than 19h30, which is very late for children under 10, and service will continue for several hours. I have not found many restaurants which I might consider to be child focused.

Maybe booking Easter lunch would be better, and you might consider one of the large brasseries such as: la Rotonde, la Coupole, Bofinger, le Train Bleu, le Grand Colbert, or au Pied de Cochon.

Posted by
10221 posts

Any of the places Tocard mentioned but you have to reserve. And as he said, they aren't child focused because children are part of a family unit, not the center of it. But if you look online you might see a children's menu at some restaurants. French children don't go to better restaurants except on special family occasions and generally, children stay seated in space-crunched Paris restaurants. We're in the Provinces so I let my granddaughter get up to play outside or with a restaurant dog, but you can't do that in Paris. Except, the restaurants in the Tuileries Gardens might work for you.

You can find casual burger places. We took a niece to a chain steak restaurant (Hippopotamus) or her 7th birthday at 7pm because she was starving after playing at the Jardin de Luxembourg. This was before other customers arrived. IMHO it was pretty bad but she liked it.

Posted by
8085 posts

With young kids I would not consider a restaurant; they open at 7:30, 7 at the earliest and are not really suitable for kids. The chain that has a pretty good reputation and does cater to kids is Hippopotamus
https://www.hippopotamus.fr/En-Famille

Personally with 3 kids this age. I would head to a Bouillon like Bouillon Chartier in Montparnasse (gorgeous room) or Bouillion Pigalle in Montmartre. No reservations but usually not a big deal to get in if you arrive a bit earlier than peak dinner time. The menu is huge, the food is okay and you don't waste big bucks on things the kid won't eat as it is inexpensive. My granddaughter tried her first snails here -- but there are plenty of non-exotic foods like spaghetti, burgers, duck confit etc.