Please sign in to post.

Easter Holy Week 2017 France

We are about ready to book an Avalon River cruise that includes Easter on April 16, 2017 ---arriving in Paris from the French Riviera the day before (Saturday). We will depart the tour after breakfast on Easter Monday for an additional 3 days on our own until April 20. Will we be unable to visit the famous sites and museums? We were in Sevilla Spain for Holy Week and it was booming with passeos processions and nothing was closed. But this is France and Easter Monday is a public holiday. Thanks.

Posted by
9609 posts

Easter is not as big a deal in France as in Spain - France is a far more secular country. Public transportation will be on a holiday schedule (i.e. less frequent), and a few things might be closed, but not many. It's pretty much business as usual with a day off.
Of course if you do want to find a religious service, you can do that too.

Most sites and museums only close 2 or 3 times a year -- Christmas, New Year's, and May 1 (although many don't even close for all those three). You can consult individual museum sites if there's someplace you're particularly interested in. More to remember is that Monday is the regular closing day for the majority of museums in Paris anyway (Tuesday for the Louvre).

Posted by
3 posts

Thank you. Kim. The itinerary calls for a morning walking tour of the old city origin and skip the line for Notre Dame on Easter.! ()Maybe we will get reservations for Easter dinner to guarantee).. We have done this area tour on our own but never been inside as the line was terrible. We want to go back to the Louvre and hit another museum so will verify/check the schedule for them. Done ET and Sacred Heart. Is Moulin Rouge worth seeing with dinner? Very $$$$. Any recommendations for off the beaten path? Thanks again.

Posted by
2466 posts

Would not recommend the Moulin Rouge dinner option. If you go, just buy the cheapest tickets which allow you to have drinks - eat elsewhere before or after. There are VIP seats which are the best in the house, but if you don't spring for those, the ushers will herd you in on a first-come basis. Get there at least 30 mins ahead of time for the show, since there are always large tour groups who will be there, too.

Posted by
11507 posts

The line for Notre Dame always fools people.

It moves steadily becasue there is no admission or security just a bottle neck at door.

I have been inside many times , even waiting i lines that zig zag up and down the square in front, absolute worst wait in line 30 minutes,( and that was july or august when i usually visit) but even this past june we waited only about ten minutes. An american man came in line behind and made a comment about how it was his last day and he was going to wait no matter how long as he really wanted to go in, i told him not to worry it would be about ten minutes, i could tell he doubted me, but as we got to front of line , 10 minutes later , he was delighted. Lol

Now the wait for the TOWERS of Notre Dame is a whole different kettle of fish.