Please sign in to post.

Driving in France

I've seen quite a few questions/comments about driving in France so I thought I'd throw in my two-cents worth. First some background: We're both 70 years old and this was our first trip to Europe. We planned it all ourselves with help from Rick Steves' office and this forum.

We spent 30 days in France (April 18, 2016 to May 19, 2016) and for 22 days of that time we leased a Renault Megane from Renault Eurodrive. It was a great car and perfect for two people and two carry-on suitcases. We picked up the car in Nice and returned it in Strasbourg after driving about 2200 kilometers (a little less than 1400 miles). Our travels took us from Nice to Provence and then on to Chamonix, Annecy, Beaune and Colmar before returning the car. About 75% of those miles were on Autoroutes (toll roads).

First let me address the toll booths. Like a great many people I had concerns about them. I did a lot of research and still had some trepidation when we reached the first one. My worries were overblown. We paid some tolls in cash but at most of the booths we used our credits cards. Both my wife and I carried two Visa cards each and all four of them worked perfectly. As with all American issued cards they were chip-and-sign and we had no problem with any of them anywhere in France.

So here's our experience with toll booths: some just issue tickets and some just collect tolls. We never did run into one that collected tolls and then issued another ticket. There was always a sign several hundred meters before the toll booths that told us which kind it was. At the ticket issuing booth we just drove up, a ticket popped out of the slot and as soon as you pulled the ticket out the gate went up just like pay parking lots do here in the States. At the toll collecting booths we picked a lane with a green downward point arrow and used that. Those lanes lanes took cash and credit cards. We never saw a cash only lane. When using a credit card we drove up to the booth, inserted our ticket into the left hand slot and our credit card into the other slot. There's a screen just above the slots which tells you the toll charge. When our card popped back out we took it and the gate opened. We always got a receipt by pushing the red-ringed button on the right. No muss, no fuss and no worry.

The toll roads we drove on in France were fantastic. Smooth, fast and well maintained. Speed limits varied from 70 to 130 Kph. There were rest areas about every 15 kilometers, some fancy, some no so much. Traffic was generally light with the exception of heavy truck traffic on some of the toll roads. Overall, we really enjoyed our driving experience in France and would definitely do it again.

For those of you who pay attention to these things the Megane was factory fresh with less the 5 kilometers on it when we picked it up. It had a 130 hp diesel engine and six-speed manual transmission. For the entire trip the car averaged about 49 mpg. Fuel prices varied from €1.09 - €1.25 per liter. We always tried to but fuel off the toll roads which always had the highest prices.

BTW, don't go without a GPS. They're invaluable. The Megane had a very good one which provided very reliable information once we got use to it.

I hope this provides some information to those planning to driving on France. If you have the inclination rent/lease a car and enjoy the freedom.

Posted by
446 posts

Thanks for the info. Particularly about the chip and sign cards for tolls.

Posted by
2427 posts

Re: toll booths in the south of France. I'm glad to hear that your experience of French toll booths was positive. Our experience was not. Last summer we tried to use our true chip and pin credit card and our non chip and pin card each time we got to to a toll booth. On only one occasion were we able to use our credit card at a toll booth. My advice is to keep cash available (20 euros or less) for the toll booths.

Posted by
9 posts

Mary:

I must admit that I'm at a loss to explain why some cards are accepted and some are not. We each had a card from Andrews FCU and a card for another credit union. Like I said, all four cards worked on toll roads (and everywhere else we used them). There must be some different programs out there.

BTW, the Andrews FCU is the best card to use in Europe because they don't charge any fees unlike our other card.

Posted by
2427 posts

Hi Don,

We have an Andrews Federal Union CC and it did not work for us at the tolls. I'm truly glad that you had no problems but I just want others on this forum to be aware that cc's don't always work at the French tollbooths. Apparently there are different companies that operate those tollbooths and what one will accept another won't. So it's good to be prepared and have cash on hand to cover the tolls.

Posted by
2916 posts

The problem with French tolls and American credit cards is you can never be sure if your card will work at any particular place. As I've commented elsewhere, on my recent trip, neither my Andrews FCU card nor any of my chip and signature cards worked anywhere I tried them. That's been the case in France for me for several years, ever since I got an Andrews card 3 years ago, so I almost never even try. Often I'll try the first time on a trip, and on this last trip one time I got stuck in a card-only lane. From what I've read, it sounds like the useability of an American CC may depend on the system used by the company that manages the road rather than by the type of card you have.

Posted by
6504 posts

I don't think I've ever tried to use a credit card at a tollbooth -- we just pay cash. I love the autoroutes, especially in the rural areas where you fly along with little traffic and stop at the aires for bathroom and maybe an exotic (to us) pastry. Not so much creeping through villages where the roads were designed for carts and horses, but they're just a different kind of adventure. Thanks for sharing your observations.

Posted by
20 posts

Thanks for the report! We'll be in France starting June 16, renting a car in Lyon and driving south to the Ardeche. We almost always have cash available, and I think at least one of our roads is a toll road. I don't know if our rental car will have GPS, but I'm planning to use our phones, just as in the states. I can include data use in europe to my phone plan (it'll come out of the plan we already have), so hopefully that'll do the trick. Hoping my rusty French will be of use on the road!

Posted by
1 posts

Hi Don,

Thanks for the incredibly insightful post! We will be driving from Strasbourg to Chamonix this September (we happened to rent the exact same car as you!) Roughly how much did you end up spending in tolls from Nice to Strasbourg? How were the driving conditions in Chamonix? Was the road really windy? It's our first time driving in France and it looks the toll roads are the easiest way to get around.

Posted by
12172 posts

How much did you pay in tolls per miles driven?

I'm assuming your Megane was an automatic? We leased a Grand Scenic II awhile ago. It's a seven passenger, station-wagon type car that was perfect for five of us (3 kids) and five carry on bags. It would have been too small if we, or are luggage, were bigger.

It was manual transmission diesel. I checked my math over and over but the best I could tell it got about 80 miles to the gallon. I kept thinking I was confusing their gallons for ours and kilometers for miles, but it was amazing how little the fuel guage moved for how many miles we drove (started in Amsterdam, ended in Rome).

Posted by
9 posts

Eric/Brad,

Thanks for you questions.

Eric, our tolls were approximately €102.70 from Nice to Strasbourg not including side trips. We went from Nice to Arles then to Chamonix, on to Beaune (via Annecy) and finally Colmar/Strasbourg. The road to/from Chamonix was a very nice 2-lane highway which was a pleasure to drive. Our biggest challenge was driving in towns. The GPS was invaluable. Also, viamichelin.com]1 was very useful for trip planning giving not only routing and distance but estimated cost of the trip. Give it a try.

Brad, the Megane was a six-speed manual transmission. The car had a system in it that delivers some information upon reaching your destination. One of the pieces of information was liters per 100 km. I took that information (generally in the 4.7 to 5.2 range) and converted it to MPG using a smart phone app called "Simply Convert Units Pro". BTW, this is one of the handiest apps on my phone for traveling in Europe.

Hope this helps.

Don