Please sign in to post.

Dordogne to Barcelona

Hello,
In May I am planning on spending two weeks traveling from Paris to Barcelona. I want to spend about 4 nights in Pars, 3 nights in Loire Valley and 3 nights in Dordogne, and the remaining time in Barcelona. Is there a train from Dordogne to Barcelona?

Posted by
4132 posts

Hi Shoshana,

Slight exaggeration, but there isn't really a train from the Dordogne to anywhere. It is not well served by rail or buses. I would strongly recommend a car for that leg of the trip, especially if you are only going to spend 2 days there (I'd spend more).

The easier rail route goes through Provence, though the Dordogne is tops, if you have wheels.

Posted by
66 posts

Okay thank you, I thought that was the case but wasn't completely sure. Perhaps I'll eliminate Dordogne and spend a few extra days is the Loire valley and then drive to Perpignan to catch a train to Barcelona.

Posted by
4132 posts

If you have a car, then I think the Dordogne becomes more feasible. Driving from the Loire to Perpignan would take you pretty close to the Dordogne.

Sorry, but you asked about "a train from the Dordogne." You can drive to Toulouse and catch a train to Barcelona, 1 transfer in Narbonne, about 4 hours.

Posted by
66 posts

Thank you. That makes sense. I didn't realize I could catch a train from Toulouse to Barcelona.

Posted by
16893 posts

There are a few trains per day, for instance from Tours to Sarlat with two connections. But it's nicer to have a car both for the Loire and for the Dordogne, to reach more rural and small-town locations. You can pick up the car at St. Pierre des Corps TGV station and drop it at Toulouse, Narbonne, or Perpignan, depending on how much you want to drive vs train.

For connection info between specific towns, Looking Up Train Schedules and Routes Online gives you the Deutsche Bahn train schedule link and tips for using it.