Please sign in to post.

Dordogne in June 2023

We had planned treating our kids and grandkids to 10 days in the Dordogne in 2021, as a 50th anniversary gift to ourselves. Of course, that didn't happen, and this year won't work for everyone, so next year it is. We will just celebrate an 80th birthday instead. The first through second weeks of June are the only weeks that work for us all, so somewhere within those 14 days, we want to plan on about 10 days. I have researched gites and narrowed it down to a few. We will also have two cars rented for visiting the sights. (My son and his partner will be there as well.)
My main query is this: what would be the best way for a single mom, traveling with a 9 and 12 year old, to get to the general Dordogne area from San Francisco or Oakland? I see that French Bee flies to Orly from the bay area, and my understanding is that most internal flights in France fly out of Orly. Which city in the Langedoc/Dordogne/Acquitaine area would be best to fly into? We would pick them up in a car, as we will have been there for at least a few days. Is the SFO/Orly/Dordogne flight plan feasible or practical? Or can she make a connection at CDG? I am trying to make it easy since she will be on her own with two (probably) sleep-deprived kids. The kids can schlep their own carry-on bags and backpacks, but CDG is huge and can be exhausting to navigate. I know the train is an option, but it seems that she would have to get into Paris to the right train station, and that sounds like a real difficulty. She has traveled in Europe before, but no with two kids along. I want their visit to France to get off on the right foot, without terribly painful transfer issues.
Also, has anyone flown French Bee? Any insights into it? I want to start getting my ducks in a row now, at least somewhat. I know lots can change in the next year+, but I like to be forwarned. Thanks for any help you can give.
Judy

Posted by
87 posts

Hello,

From Orly, there are flights to Brive La Gaillarde which is 50 km from Sarlat-La-Canéda.
(45 minutes by car)

https://www.aeroport-brive-vallee-dordogne.com/

The airline is Amelia but the flights can be booked on Air France.
There are two flights per day in June this year but this may change in 2023 (for better or worse)

Otherwise she can take a Paris-Bordeaux flight or a Paris-Toulouse flight.

These two cities have flights from Orly or CDG.
At least 4 flights per day for Bordeaux (Air France), and almost one flight per hour for Toulouse (Air France, EasyJet)

Depending on where you are in Dordogne it will take between 2h15 and 3 hours to get to these airports by car

Posted by
27187 posts

Bordeaux would probably be your best option in the SW [sorry--didn't know there was an airport in Brive-La-Gaillarde]. Skyscanner shows several non-stop flights per day on Air France. The best thing, for sure, would be to have a through-ticket to Bordeaux so the airline has to get the three of them to Bordeaux even if they miss the connection due to a delay on the transatlantic flight.

The rail connection is also a possibility, but that would be an unprotected self-connection, and something could go wrong in the event of a flight delay on the way to Paris. The SNCF website shows many daily trains taking just a little over 2 hours from Paris-Montparnasse--amazing speed for such a long journey. Depending on the timing, getting a train somewhere other than downtown Paris might be possible, as might taking a train from right the airport and changing at Massy or at Marne La Vallee. I'm afraid any rail routing requiring a change in Paris will mean a change of train stations there, which would be challenging via public transportation with two children and luggage. One could, of course, take a taxi between the two stations.

I understand your concern to make the transfer as easy as possible, but I recall reading on the forum that there are flat taxi rates from CDG into central Paris (slightly different for Left Bank and Right Bank, I believe). With three people involved, a taxi wouldn't even be a splurge. I'd be tempted to plan a taxi from CDG to Paris-Montparnasse. There are a lot more train options from Paris-Montparnasse than from the airport. The difficulty is figuring out appropriate timing. No departure time would be totally risk-free.

Posted by
680 posts

Thank you for your suggestions. The booking all on Air France has occurred to me, but the price from the bay area through to Toulouse, etc. was pretty pricy. However, I haven't finished researching yet. Anyone have information on French Bee airlines?

Posted by
87 posts

Don't be fooled on the current ticket prices for June 2023. By 2023 they will change.

The Paris-Bordeaux train journey (2 hours with the highspeed TGV) would be a good choice but it involves going to Montparnasse station in Paris.

From Orly or CDG airports there is no direct transport except by taxi.

Currently there is a bill in France which would like to prohibit domestic flights when it is possible to make the journey by train in less than 2h30, which is the case for Paris-Bordeaux. (but not for Paris-Toulouse).

This law specifies that it doesn't concern the air routes mainly used by connecting passengers and could be abolished by the European Union.
So it is difficult to know currently what will be applied in 2023

French Bee (formerly French Blue) is a low cost company which is quite young, I don't know if you will have many comments about it.

Posted by
680 posts

Thank you for your info. I will look into trains more deeply. I realize how much things can change by next year.

Posted by
1825 posts

You can take a train from CDG direct to Bordeaux which will give you a good selection of rental cars. It's a pleasant hour and a half drive to the Dordogne from there.

Posted by
87 posts

Sorry, I had forgotten that there is also a TGV at CDG 2 airport direct to Bordeaux.
It would indeed be a very good solution if you have accommodation not too far from Bordeaux.

Posted by
680 posts

Wow, Richard. The train from CDG to Bordeaux would be great. We could pick up my daughter and grandkids there. Thanks! I will definitely look into this and hope it still holds true in 2023.