Please sign in to post.

Disneyland Paris

My husband and I are planning a 3 week trip to France in May/June 2019, and starting to put together an itinerary. We’ve spent a lot of time in the south of France on previous trips, so will be focusing on the northern half. Im a Disney fan, and wondering if it’s worth The time and effort to spend 2 days at Disneyland. Has anyone out there done this? Thanks

Posted by
565 posts

It is absolutely nowhere near Disney World Florida status. To me it’s very ‘Six Flags’ territory. I’m a huge Disney fan too. Headed to Disney World for 10 days in a couple of weeks myself. That being said, I’d absolutely go. I personally wouldn’t spend 2 days there but why not. We did it as a day trip from Paris. We rode everything (that was working) and made it back to Paris for an early dinner. That being said, reserve your restaurants as early as you decide to go. The Pirates one looked awesome. The rest of the food was hideous.

Posted by
1288 posts

I agree with Leslie, I found one day to be enough. I am going to cut and paste an answer that I gave in 2015 (We visited in 2014):

Yes, this Disneyland is different. I describe it as Disneyland on Valium. It does not have the same energy, smiley feeling that we were used to. However, I think part of that is cultural. Once again, if you want everything just like it is at home. stay home. I enjoyed seeing some of the differences between the parks. Overall, we found the staff more reserved, but always kind and helpful.

Getting there: I wondered how hard it would be....so very easy. We bought the tickets from a person in the booth (rather than a machine) so that we were sure we would get the correct ticket. All I said was 2 round trip tickets Disneyland and there they were. (a little expensive compared to other tickets we bought including the ones clear out to Versailles.) I believe you could buy them the day before. They are not "timed" to a certain train so I don't think there is a problem buying and using later. (always good to double check with person selling them to you though). From the Lourve area I would go to the Chatelet and catch the train there. It is the closest and very easy to do. (that is where we caught it.)

Touring plans: Get there before it opens. We were told it opened at 10, but the grounds open at 9:30 (rides at 10) That gives you a chance to walk around, find the Ratatouille ride and be ready to hit the ground running. Overall, we found the first 1 1/2 hours to be almost empty. (we were there in September though) We wondered where everyone was...but by mid afternoon the parks were in full swing. It seemed that getting there early and having a plan will really pay off at this park. After Ratatouille, I would head over the to Toy Story "parachute" ride. Because it is a slow loading ride, lines can get long. (You might even consider reversing them. Although Ratatouille is a much better ride, it loads a lot faster and the lines moves quickly) A couple of "I would skip it next time" are the "studio tour" (if you have every done a tour with special effects, this one will not impress you) and "special effects show" (I came out thinking, someone spent a lot of money to create that and it was not worth it. For one thing, we could not hear what the announcer was saying and it just seemed kinda lame. It reminded me of the Lilo and Stitch experience at Disney World if that helps.) Read up on the shows and know which ones you want to see. We made it to 2: The car one and the Hollywood movie experience one. There was one that was geared more to kids that we had to miss. The start times overlap and unless you plan to spend all day in one park, you can't fit them all in. Also in the studio park: The Toyland Playland is very cute with lots of photo ops.

We split our day right down the middle and spent the afternoon in the Magic Kingdom. Once again, we focused first on what is unique to Disneyland Paris. However, we also enjoyed seeing the Paris version of some rides. The elevator room in the Haunted mansion has very French paintings that are completely different than the US versions (the room that stretches and the pictures are revealed) There is a large maze in the Fantasyland that is based on Alice in Wonderland.

End of cut and paste. You might want to read other answers that were with this post:

https://community.ricksteves.com/travel-forum/france/disneyland-paris-questions-dates-and-travel

Also, I used this site to get discounted tickets:

http://www.fnactickets.com/place-spectacle/Parks-Attractions-p1658619347742157416.htm

I ordered them when we were in Paris and we picked them up at the FNAC near the Arc De Triomph. (there are many FNAC store locations to choose from). I scoured sites for discount tickets and this was the best I could find. Overall, I was thought it was fun, but I had just been to Paris 2 years earlier and did not want to do all the same things again.

Posted by
9100 posts

If it's just adults traveling then long day should be sufficient. But with kids in tow two days is best.
Be aware that the Euro Disney complex has two parks with separate admission:

Disneyland Paris is the magic kingdom style park, and the Studios park which has more of the high-adrenaline rides like Rock in RollerCoaster, and the Tower of Terror.

Posted by
4858 posts

I guess I'll be the exception and say that if you have the time, and are a big Disney fan, 2 days at DLP would be perfect. We've been there 4 times and enjoyed our stays each time. No, it's not as big as WDW. More the size of DL in CA. And the vibe is very much European - a bit more reserved, without all the phoney American glad handing. 2 days allows you time to really experience both parks without rushing from place to place and only hitting the highlights. Enjoy the differences, rather than criticizing how they aren't the same as WDW.

I would buy your tickets online in advance. And strongly urge you to go on weekdays. Their ticket pricing is different than in North America. Multi-day tickets include both parks. Single day tickets give you the option of one or both parks (and are cheaper mid week).

Getting to and from DLP is easy. Just look it up on the RATP website journey planner for routes from your hotel. It will involve a trip on an RER train that stops right at DLP. Be sure to know what time the last train leaves each night. If you will have a Navigo Decouverte pass, the fare is included. Otherwise you will need a return RER ticket each day. They can be purchased from a ticket window or a machine at the station.

The Disboards website has an excellent DLP forum for planning purposes.

Posted by
1829 posts

I am not personally a big Disney fan (I like their movies, enjoy rides but only would go to put a smile on a child's face not my own)

Given the convenience via the high speed train from Paris I thought it was fantastic to visit for a full day (left early to be there when the park opened and left after the fireworks at night) ; and then still had breakfast in Paris and slept in Paris.
Staying in those type of resort on property type hotels I do not enjoy.
To me that made DLP better than the one in Orlando where one has to make a whole vacation out of going to see. I am sure kids and big Disney fans would disagree with my assessment.

We did the very expensive lunch with Cinderella and the food was excellent and my daughter overjoyed, I had to book that months in advance and expected to be served park grade food so was pleasantly surprised.

It is very wise advise to look up which rides are most popular and go to them first. The park is not very crowded when it first opens (at least was not for us in 2016) but mid afternoon certain rides had very long lines. Then at the end of the evening just before the fireworks but when rides are still open they become really short again so a good time to revisit one you liked early or one you missed. Overall lines/waits are much shorter than Orlando parks.

Posted by
1369 posts

I too added Disneyland as a day trip during my time in Paris. Took the RER-A to the Diseny Station, Gare de Marne la Vallee Chessy. I grew up in So. Cal and spent my childhood at Disneyland, hell I still try to make there at least every other year.