Please sign in to post.

Disneyland-Paris

Hi,
Is Disneyland-Paris similar to the Downtown Disney in Anaheim, California, where there are shops and restaurants? We're not interested in going into Disneyland-Paris, but may want to hang out on the outside for the fireworks. Any advice? Thanks.

Posted by
5292 posts

I haven't been to the one in California so cannot compare however there are shops and restaurants outside the main gates but don't expect food or prices to be attractive.

I don't know about the fireworks visibility as the park is quite obscured by trees at the entrance so not sure how much you'll see of them.

Are you making a trip specifically to hang outside the park and catch a glimpse of the fireworks?

Posted by
14 posts

Thank you! We have about 3 to 4 hours to spare. We've looked through the Rick Steve's travel book, and will have visited the places we want to go on our 3.5 days trip. So, we are wondering where to spend our 3 to 4 hours. We are also thinking of Versailles, but roundtrip is about 2 hours, with 1 hour at the security line. So, we're not sure if the 1 hour in the palace is worth it for our travel time and ticket costs (family of 4). Any suggestions?

Posted by
5292 posts

Where will you be travelling from/to? If Paris bear in mind that the train to Marne La Vallee from Gare du Nord takes about an hour and 15 minutes. A 2 1/2 hour round trip just to mooch around outside Europe's definitely poorer Disney cousin for an hour is not a good choice of time in my opinion.

Posted by
1172 posts

I just answered your Versailles post but will say the same thing here... if you don't have enough time to actually go in, I wouldn't bother... it is not like downtown Disney at all. It is actually just the entrances to the 2 parks. If I had an extra 3-4 hours, I would just send it in Paris. Not sure where you are spending your 3.5 days but we were there for 6 days this past summer and barely scratched the surface. SO much to do.

Posted by
1825 posts

You'll be able to see Paris from the plane. That should be a real time saver.

Posted by
118 posts

They do have a Downtown Disney type area. There’s even a hot air balloon that looks cool. But it seems like a lot of travel to spend just a bit of time. It doesn’t seem nearly as worthwhile as a myriad of other options... I am personally a fan of Disney but I would skip it and wait until you have time to go inside the parks.

Posted by
9688 posts

I wouldn't be so sure you'll have 3 to 4 hours to spare anyway if you're only in Paris for that short a time. But yes, definitely don't spend 2.5-3 hours riding the train out to Disney Paris and back!!!

Posted by
1825 posts

We have about 3 to 4 hours to spare. We've looked through the Rick Steve's travel book, and will have visited the places we want to go on our 3.5 days trip. So, we are wondering where to spend our 3 to 4 hours.

Unless the "places we want to go" is a very short list, chances are you won't have covered everything you planned. Seldom do people cover everything on their list. Leave some room for spontaneity. The most memorable experiences are usually not about some major attraction and are usually more personal.

Posted by
1829 posts

My recollection of the place was after getting off the train (which is amazingly convenient and goes door to door from downtown Paris to the park is there is a Disney Village with restaurants/shops/etc... before any park gates that require a ticket.

So, yes it is possible to go there without a ticket but shopping is limited to Disney Store shopping and restaurants are Disney theme park quality and prices. There is nothing not Disney owned for miles around the park it seemed.
While I am sure you could see the fireworks from this location, it would not be an ideal vantage point.
The show they do at night is very impressive, but more so a lightshow than fireworks where lights are projected onto the castle. You need to have a decent view of the main castle (Sleeping Beauty's castle) to see/enjoy the nightly show.
Overall it is a large scale and impressive show, singling out just the fireworks if viewed from afar where that is all that was visible I don't think it would be so grand.
Since there is a big hotel in between the Disney Village and the main street USA area before that leads to the castle ; I really don't think there would be much of a view.

Only been there once so could be wrong that there are some good vantage points from the village, I do recall the moment the show ends there is mass exodus to the gates and then onto the trains back to Paris similar to a concert or sporting event ending which is definitely not an enjoyable experience.

I wouldn't make the trip out from Paris just to go to the village, and without kids I would have absolutely no interest in being there in the park or in the village.
If you have a full day to spare and it will be the highlight of your kids vacation, then yes a full day at the park (with admission) is worthwhile. The convenience from the city is quite unlike any Disney park in the US, I was very pleased we planned this day for our daughter.