Please sign in to post.

Dijon Or Lyon

We will be in Paris during August and would like to take an over nite side trip and spend two days in either Dijon or Lyon unless we could do both but seems unlikely. Looking for recommendations/ideas on which to visit and where to spend the over nite. We will not have a car and will be traveling from Paris by train. We're fine to book a tour as we'd like to visit a few wineries if that's feasible during the two days and if so any recommendations regarding tour providers. We like to wonder around and get the flavor of a place. We're not big on churches or museums unless there is something iconic we shouldn't miss (like the Mona Lisa at the Louvre or van Gogh's self portrait at the d' Orsay ). Merci Beaucoup in advance. Arlene

Posted by
408 posts

I think Dijon is underrated, but there's no question, in my mind at least, that Lyon has far more to offer. Although Marseille is larger in its city proper, Lyon has a larger metro area and is in many ways France's "second city."

As for where to stay, I would recommend Hôtel de Célestins for (1) its central location in the presqu'île, where most tourists congregate; (2) its air conditioning; (3) the quality of its rooms (though most are French small); and (4) its breakfast. We've had several friends stay there when visiting us in Lyon and have stayed there ourselves when we moved north to Bourgogne and the overall experience has been quite positive.

Lyon is not, however, a wine making center. I suggest you do some Internet queries on Brouilly wine, a (particularly good, in my opinion) type of Beaujolais wine. I suspect you will find some good wineries to visit. Some may be in the Mont d'Or area north of Lyon, where buildings are constructed out of limestone with a characteristic yellow color (golden, hence the "or," or gold).

Posted by
4132 posts

Arlene,

Lyon by a mile, unless wine is very important to you.

Don't try to do both.

Don't expect to have 2 days of sightseeing if you are only spending a night. Consider more nights.

Posted by
1825 posts

Beaune is a fifteen minute train from Dijon and for two wine centric days it can't be beat.

Posted by
4005 posts

Curious — what is negative about Dijon that makes Lyon clearly the preference? Thanks!

Posted by
408 posts

Well, in my opinion (and I'm a former Lyon resident, so I'll admit bias -- though I've been to Dijon several times for sightseeing and shopping), it's not something "negative about Dijon" so much as it's that Lyon is a much larger, more diverse, and more interesting city. To put things in context, keep in mind the populations: Dijon's metropolitan area = 384,000 residents; Lyon's metropolitan area = 2,292,000 residents (http://archive.wikiwix.com/cache/?url=https%3A%2F%2Finsee.fr%2Ffr%2Fstatistiques%2F3303318%3Fsommaire%3D3353488)

While Dijon's main historical statement was made in the middle ages, Lyon has been an important city since before Roman times. Consequently, it has the historical sites, the museums (a terrific fine arts museum, a stunning new natural history museum, and a sobering French resistance and deportation museum, among other museums of interest), the architecture, the bars, restaurants, and nightlife, the shopping, and the public spaces (huge squares, small squares) to show for it, including one of the larger urban parks in France, complete with Victorian-era greenhouses replicating different climates and habitats. And a free zoo. Oh -- and its bike rental system works too, unlike the one located in a larger city somewhat to the north.

There's really no comparison. And I like Dijon. Quite a bit.

Posted by
116 posts

Merci Beaucoup to all who have responded. Your input is helpful and appreciated. We haven't decided yet which it will be but we feel better equipped to make the decision now. Happy Travels to all. Arlene

Posted by
408 posts

Arlene,

I hope your trip is enjoyable. I'd like to amend my first comment by mentioning that we were in Lyon earlier this week for a few days to attend a concert and do some shopping. We stayed at Hôtel des Artistes, also near the Théâtre des Célestins in central Lyon. It was very good and also has air conditioning. I would recommend either that or Hôtel des Célestins if you happen to end up in Lyon.

Posted by
72 posts

If you are in Paris, you get a taste of cosmopolitan France and fantastic museums. I'd recommend Dijon, a visit to the Hotel Dieu, and bike ride through the vineyards of Beaune, making a few stops and purchases at the local wineries.

Posted by
72 posts

If you are in Paris, you get a taste of cosmopolitan France and fantastic museums. I'd recommend Dijon, a visit to the Hotel Dieu, and bike ride through the vineyards of Beaune, making a few stops and purchases at the local wineries.