Please sign in to post.

Dijon

Next spring we will taking an approximately 6 week trip, starting in Germany to visit family and friends, then moving on to France. We will end the trip the last week of April in Amsterdam/Haarlem. We are using airline miles and I want to get our flights booked. Our end date is set, but our arrival date is flexible. I’m wondering if it would be worth a 2 night stay in Dijon. We went to Burgundy in 2014, with one night in the tiny town of Massangis (a friend insisted we stay there for at least one night at a wonderful B&B) and 3 nights in La Rochepot, close to Beaune. We will be coming from Colmar (5 nights) and going to Lyon (4 nights), traveling by train. Is there enough to see in Dijon to make it worth the stop? Thanks for any advice and information.

Posted by
1671 posts

I stayed there for 2 nights and found it to be a worthwhile stop. Nice architecture and plenty to see for a couple of days. Nothing overwhelming, but a enjoyable and easy to get around city.

Posted by
6508 posts

We spent a productive day in Dijon, especially enjoyed the art museum and the medieval center. We did it as a day trip by train from Beaune, but I think spending the night on both ends would have given us a fuller and easier day. So I'd say go for it, especially if it your time allows you to add it rather than trading off for someplace else.

Posted by
27120 posts

You gotta love a town that has a mustard-vending machine. (The mustard's in little jars.)

Posted by
116 posts

Hi,
I visited Dijon for two nights in April 2019 and I loved it and would recommend it. It's very walkable and pedestrian friendly with a beautiful (but small) public garden filled with water fountains. There's lots of cobbled streets and half-timbered buildings, and Louis 14th-area architecture, as well. The Ducal Palace (where the MFA is ) is also worth a visit, and I recall climbing the large tower that offered beautiful views of the city and the surrounding countryside filed with huge swaths of yellow flowers. The food and wines there were excellent, as well. If you are a fan of sculpture, there is a wonderful Francois Rude Museum (which was free when I was there) with several of pieces there. There's also an entire square named after him that is great for doing some people watching. It's not too far from the public garden

Good luck

Posted by
1633 posts

Took the train from Beaune to Dijon to visit for the day. Easy walking from the station to the pedestrian zone. Lots to see depending upon your interests. My favorite was the 1787 Musée des Beaux-Arts, which is in the Palace of the Dukes, holds a rich collection of paintings, sculptures, crafts and antiquities. If you are pressed for time, maybe one night would be sufficient.

Posted by
10223 posts

Thanks everyone. I think a 2 night stay is now on our agenda.

Posted by
954 posts

Following this a bit! We may have two extra nights ourselves going from Provence to Paris this October.

I'd like to stop somewhere completely different and Dijon and Beaune both were recommended. Auxerre looks perfect but a long journey to get to by train from Aix-en-Provence. How do Dijon and Beaune differ?