Please sign in to post.

Didn't Really Want To Go To Paris

In January I took my daughter on a 3 week trip to Western Europe. She put Paris on the list. Rick's hotel ideas made all the difference. We stayed in the Rue Clare district. There was still Christmas lights hanging in the street. I did meet only 1 rude person in the entire city, it was a Chinese woman owner of Chinese rest around the corner from hotel. The manager of the hotel is More, short for Maurice. He is married to an American woman. To me he is Paris. Every afternoon or evening when we returned, he really asked and listened as to what we saw, and how we liked his city. I just walked along the Seine river past the Effiel tower to the 2 museums: Louve and Muse De Orse. I spent hours in both. I love the tribute to Van Gough, and to Goughain. Aside from that 1 woman, EVERYONE from the news vendor, fast food, drug store..etc..all were sweet, and they even tried to speak some English. I speak only kindergarten French. I would return.

Posted by
8158 posts

Every One has their stories about Paris, like the time my wife ordered a horseburger by mistake.
We once asked a question at the Welcome Booth at the Gard du Nord train station. Although it is where thousands of Englishmen come in on the Eurostsr daily, it was staffed with non-English speaking reps.
Last time we were there, my wife went though a door to the restroom in CDG, and came back through the door. 10 minutes later, they emptied the whole airport terminal including 2 loaded airplanes and offloaded every suitcase to send everyone back thru security.I
But, the more you smile at them, the nicer Parisians are.

Posted by
166 posts

I love to read reports like this! I have found the French people to be kind and gracious when treated with respect, what I mean is when you address them by their proper title and wish them a good morning or afternoon, they almost respond in kind. After traveling yearly in Europe for the last 10 years I have learned the value of good manners that I had forgotten from my upbringing. One of the things I enjoy is the common bond people on this forum feel about exploring different cultures and actually getting to know them as people and even friends.

Posted by
2768 posts

This is great! May I ask why you didn’t want to go to Paris originally? Was it just not interesting to you, or had you heard bad things?

I’m just curious, I love hearing about what draws/doesn’t draw individuals to particular places.

Posted by
13968 posts

I love that you had a wonderful time!

I didn't like Paris in the 70's. Thanks to RS, his tours and my friend Darcy I can't stay away! I went twice last year for 10-12 days at a time.

Are you planning your next trip, lol!!