Please sign in to post.

December in France

We have just extended an 8 day late November visit to Paris, Brittany, and Normandy. Now we have an additional week. I’d appreciate suggestions for places to visit in early December that are within a 200 mile radius of Paris. We fly home Dec 9 from Paris.

Posted by
5697 posts

Agreed -- the Christmas markets in Strasbourg and Colmar are great! Just look out for strikes from December 5 on. Maybe plan to be in or near Paris (or CDG) on the 8th.

Posted by
6918 posts

Accomodation in Alsace could be scarce at weekends in December however, so have a close look now! A couple weeks ago I started to plan a weekend in Colmar around Dec 6, booked train tickets, went to booking.com, but left empty-handed and cancelled the tickets...

The Loire is a suitable alternative if you have similar difficulties.

And don't plan on taking trains after Dec 5, a general strike is announced and I think it will be followed, given the current climate here. A few extra days in Paris at the end of the trip won't hurt, day trip possibilities are endless.

Posted by
1189 posts

Hi from Wisconsin,
If you haven't stayed in Paris much during this lifetime, I would find a good hotel or BNB or AIrBNB apartment and settle in. Paris has too much to be seen in a couple weeks. Try the cemeteries...Or what are considered second level art museums (and they would be first rate museums in other locations of the world.)

An overnight to Chartres to see the medieval town and cathedral (in the midst of a cleaning, which is like refinishing your furniture before going on the Antiques Roadshow). They have a lovely weekly market, but I don't know if it runs this late into the year.

And city with an active market day/Christmas market would be worth an overnight or just a visit.

If you must leave Paris try the Basque region along the Spanish border. Lovely food...good prices

wayne iNWI