Please sign in to post.

Day Trips from Paris

We'll be in Paris for a few days in May (three adults and two teens). We've already visited Versailles when we were there several years ago. We're definitely going to Giverny. We'd like to a second day trip as well. We love gardens, castles, art - pretty much anything! Which of these three day trips would you recommend?

1. Chateau de Fontainbleu
  2. Chateau de Chantilly
  3. Chateau de Maintenon

Thank you so much.

Posted by
9404 posts

Between Fontainbleau and Chantilly (haven't been to Maintenon), I like Fontainbleau better by far for the history.
One of my most favorite daytrips though, is Vaux-le-Vicomte. It's in RS France guide. It's amazing... the architecture, the gardens, the history and "they" do a great job of presenting and explaining everything. The stables are fun to tour in addition to the chateau. They have a really good café and gift shop. I highly recommend it.

Posted by
183 posts

Susan, thank you so much. Vaux-le-Vicomte looks lovely! The stables would be an added bonus for our son. I must have totally missed it in the RS France guide. Off to look at it once more.

Posted by
183 posts

Thank you, Janet. This is good. I love it when both replies agree! It makes our decision easier. I had been meaning to visit your blog, but for some reason I couldn't find it. I've now bookmarked it. It's a lovely blog and a great service to so many of us.
Ooooh, I would love to visit Provins. I just don't think that we'll have the time on this trip. I wish that we did. Hopefully in the future.