Please sign in to post.

Day Trips from Paris

When I travel with a friend or group of friends, it’s more economical to rent a car and perhaps stay nearby. However this trip I am doing solo, so am wondering if staying in Paris and making a few day trips might be the way to go.

Can you recommend any destinations and tour groups with which you’ve had good luck? I have done the Normandy beach on a prior trip, although it was 30 years ago and might want to go back! Giverny is on my list, but know there are other ideas.

Thanks in advance!

Posted by
169 posts

Or look at the book Half an Hour from Paris by Annabel Simms. Peter

Posted by
10344 posts

Rick's guidebook Paris has ideas for day trips from Paris.

Posted by
13809 posts

To me the Normandie beaches are not really a day trip from Paris. I know people do it but my word, it takes a full day just to see some of the sights with a guide leaving from Bayeux!

Giverny is very easy to do on your own. And I say this as a person who has never lived where there has been public transportation, lol! I have pretty low travel skills but they are better in Europe! I've done the train out to Giverny and it's pretty easy.

If you enjoy medieval cathedrals and stained glass, Chartres Cathedral is a wonderful day trip as well.

Last time I also went to Chantilly for a day trip and enjoyed that as well.

You could theoretically do a day trip to Brussels on the fast train. It's a little over 2 hours. I'd not really do that but again, people do.

If you decide to use a company for a day trip, know that Viator is a 3rd party booker. With some research you can usually find out which company runs the tours and book directly with them saving you or them the money Viator takes for their cut.

I've got both of the previously-mentioned Annabelle Simms' books - One hour from Paris and her newest one, Half an hour from Paris. Both have interesting day explorations.

What kinds of things are you interested in?

Posted by
3119 posts

I've done what you're suggesting here, and it worked out well. There are so many choices!

Just remember that if a place is considered to be 1 hour from Paris, that's usually the travel time on the RER or SNCF -- it doesn't count how much time it will take you to get from your hotel to the railway station (and back at the end of the day). If you have to change Metro trains a couple of times, that will add time and effort to the day. I'm only mentioning that because it can make a difference if you're tired out!

Posted by
22 posts

Such helpful info. thanks to all! I have order the suggested guides and will firm up plans soon.

The Navigo is sounding like a good deal too. Less fumbling for tickets/cash between trains, metro or bus! While it might be a bit more $ in the end,I am all about less fuss.

Posted by
5697 posts

Taking a different approach -- day-tripping from a home base in Paris means paying Paris hotel prices to spend most of the days someplace else.

Posted by
1540 posts

We went by train on our own to Giverny and Monet's house and gardens (lots of beautiful gardens, artwork, the interesting house.) It was a great day trip.
You can buy admission tickets online then hop a short train trip - we found all the info online and it was easy.
Giverny is a very walkable little town and the bus from the train station drops you off in the parking lot for Monet's house. (and picks you up there for your return to the train station.)

Posted by
17 posts
  1. Versailles... Not the palace but the town surrounding it instead. We've visited the city twice and L.O.V.E. it! So many things to see, so little time. It's what Paris aspires to look like one day!
  2. Fontainebleau.... Both the small surrounding town and the palace itself. The interior of the palace is what Versailles aspires to look like one day! We were blown away with the beauty inside!
  3. Chartres... Beautiful cathedral and adorable town surrounding it. Read up about the history before you go. On the train back to Paris from Chartres get off at Maintenon (two stops away) to visit...
  4. Chateau de Maintenon... Overflowing with renaissance charm, this is a peaceful fairytale castle. We've visited dozens of castles in France and this one is our favorite! Look into this, the nagivo decouverte pass. For 22 ₠ per week you have unlimited access to transportation. So with this pass, for free You can travel to Versailles and Fontainebleau. The ticket to chartres was about 30 ₠. Totally worth it!
Posted by
7981 posts

We love Maintenon as well -- the view out to the aqueduct is enchanting. Alas you cannot get onto the golf course on the other wise to take a picture of the chateau through the arches, but you can buy postcards of that view. A young spry person could illegally enter the grounds, but I knew I'd end up on my back in the moat with my camera soaked if I tried it.

Other wonderful chateau in easy reach: Vaux le Vicomte (our favorite), Fontainebleau, Malmaison, Chantilly, Ecouen. Towns well worth a visit: Crecy la Chapelle, Moret sur Loing, Auvers sur Oise, Provins, Senlis. Small cities of interest are Rouen and Reims. All of these are an hour or so away. Givery for Monet's house and gardens is a nice trip and Paris itself is full of beautiful parks and interesting churches, side streets and strolls.