Please sign in to post.

Day Trips from Paris

Good day all,
We have been to Paris several times and are thinking of branching out beyond the city once or twice on this year's trip. We have been to Versailles many times too and are now looking elsewhere. We would prefer traveling by train and we are OK going beyond Zone 5 (or even out of the country if it's manageable). We love art, architecture and just soaking up the local culture. Any suggestions and insight would be appreciated. We ruled out places like Mont Saint-Michel and Vaux-le-Vicomte because they are not convenient to public transportation.

Posted by
8060 posts

There are a couple of dozen great destinations in the Isle de france which cn be reached using a Navigo Decouverte pass from Paris. Basilica St. Denis (which is on the Paris metro although just outside Paris). It is IMHO the best local site overlooked by tourists. Crecy la Chapelle, Moret sur Loing and Provins are just a few of the charming villages easily reached from Paris. Here are a few examples:
https://janettravels.wordpress.com/category/day-trips-from-paris/
Outside the Ile de France (and hence the transport pass, but easily reached for day trips are Rouen with its interesting architecture so different from Paris, Reims and the champagne houses (45 minutes away by TGV) and Giverny during late spring and summer -- Monet's garden.

Posted by
1321 posts

The Champagne region is accessible by train. I think it's 1.5 hours. It is very beautiful.

Posted by
7291 posts

Here’s some that I have stayed, taking a train from Paris and things I did:
Rouen is 1 1/2 hours by train - Joan of Arc, traditional architecture, interesting metalwork “ Musée Le Secq des Tournelles”, art museum
Chartres is an hour by train - outstanding stained glass cathedral & cute town
Tours is an hour by train - historical architecture, chateaus, cathedral
Nancy is 1 1/2 hours by train - art nouveau neighborhoods, beautiful Stanislas square, art museum

Posted by
2745 posts

Senlis and Chantilly

Lots of books, including Rick, recommend Chantilly but it you get on a bus at that train station Senlis a beautiful medieval city is just a little farther away and easy to combine.

Posted by
317 posts

Thanks for the wonderful ideas. I will look into these and anymore that come in. I appreciate the replies!

Posted by
4412 posts

Rick has many suggestions, we did Strasbourg. It's a simple direct TGV from the Gare de l'Est and the city itself is right next to the German border so it has that multi-cultural thing going on. Fun boat ride, big cathedral. And it turns out to be a big EU city so it's got all the amenities (e.g., LV shops, a Galerie Lafayette).