Please sign in to post.

day trip from Paris-Reims or Chartres?

We will be in Paris for a week the first week in February. This is our second time in Paris so we thought we'd take a day trip. Just trying to decide between Reims (for Champagne tasting of course!) or Chartres-for the beautiful Cathedral and I've heard that the town itself is just so charming and a great contrast to the busy city of Paris. Would love to hear from those who've visited either or both places!

Posted by
452 posts

Chartes. You want to go to Chartes.

Reims is amazingly underwhelming, apart from the cathedral.

-- Mike Beebe

Posted by
3724 posts

Unless you really want the champagne tastings, which I find to be very corporate in Reims, I would go for Chartres. I’ve been to both (3 times to Reims and twice to Chartres) and Chartres is more charming and, for lack of a better word, quaint. That being said, the cathedral in Reims was the site of the crowning of many French kings and that could be interesting to a history buff.

Posted by
6548 posts

It's a close call, but I agree. Chartres Cathedral is one of Europe's greatest, its towers are examples of different Gothic periods and styles, its recently restored stained glass is beautiful. A tour by Malcolm Miller (which you can't necessarily count on) improves the experience. It's easy to get there from Gare Montparnasse and the town of Chartres is walkable and charming.

No disrespect to Reims, and if champagne is important it would be the better choice. The cathedral was largely rebuilt after the First World War but faithfully to its original style, and is historically important as the coronation site of French kings. There's a great Roman gate nearby. The town is walkable enough but much was rebuilt after the war, not in the original style.

Keeping in mind that you can also get Champagne in Paris (or Chartres for that matter), I'd pick Chartres.

EDIT: JHK refers to the "rowing" of the French kings, must be the aquatic part of the coronation ritual that I hadn't heard about! ;-)

Posted by
3724 posts

LOL, Dick and Happy New Year to you!

Posted by
19 posts

Sounds like Chartres would be the one for us. I'm more interested in exploring the town and Cathedral than Champagne tasting. Chartres from all it's descriptions sounds like such a quaint picturesque town to explore easily in a day. Thanks for the input!

Posted by
15597 posts

I enjoyed both. Yes, the town of Chartres is charming, definitely more so than Reims. But there's more to see and do in Reims than touring one or more champagne caves. BTW the cave tours are quite interesting. The ones I took focused much more on the history of the family and the area than on wine production. On the other hand, I'm not sure I could tear myself away from Paris for a day if I was only there for a week. In other words, all choices are good.

Posted by
473 posts

Been twice to Chartres including last summer and it is stunning. Last year we spent the night after flying in from California. The light show is awesome. You will miss that. 😔

Posted by
101 posts

We’ve been to both several times. Choose Chartres if you can only visit one. The cathedral is stunning, and the town is much more pleasant and charming.