Please sign in to post.

Day or night trip from Paris

Hey everyone,
My girlfriend and I are looking into doing Paris where we leave Chicago 7/12 and land 7/13 AM then leave for Lisbon 7/17 early AM (meeting family in Lisbon that day) and would spend some time there and southern Portugal for a week. That would give us 3 completely full days plus the day we land in Paris. We have been in Paris for 5 nights a couple years ago and did the Palace of Versailles on that trip. I was wondering some other recommendations we could do for a day or even a night. It looks like Bayeux or Lyon are the most accessible. Mont Saint Michel would be cool but maybe a bit too much traveling for 1 day or night. Arles or Marseille aren't too bad of a ways. If we did Lyon or Marseille we could fly nonstop to Lisbon then as well instead of heading back to Paris. Really just looking for input on what city or town you would recommend visiting on a second trip to Paris.

Posted by
1446 posts

My flip answer is that I would recommend visiting Paris on my second visit to Paris! Seriously, there is so much to do in Paris that if you've only ever spent 5 days there, you are not even close to exhausting it. Even doing nothing in Paris -- just loitering in a park or a cafe for half a day -- is awesome.

Posted by
4085 posts

Stay in Paris. Plan ahead on the Internet. I have been to Paris at least 15 times and am far from finished with its delights (going back in June probably.) Each of your proposed moves will consume at least a half a day or more, each way, not just the travelling but the hassles of moving from hotel to hotel.

Posted by
10545 posts

FastEddie is spot on. If you previously spent 5 nights in Paris you were there for 4 full days. One was spent at Versailles, so in reality you had 3 full days. You can barely scratch the surface in that time. If my math is correct (no guarantee about that!) you will have 4 nights in Paris for this trip, so 3 potentially jet lagged days. Spend that time in Paris. If you run out of things to do, which is very unlikely, just soak up being there. Spend some time at Luxembourg Gardens. Hang out on the Seine in the evening. Sit at an outdoor table at a cafe and people watch. I've spent over 40 nights in Paris and still haven't seen everything.

Posted by
86 posts

Thanks, everyone. I think that easily answers my questions haha

Posted by
8442 posts

If you did want a day trip there are a couple of dozen of great trips within an hour of Paris; it makes no sense to go so far as MSM or Lyon when there is so much more at hand.

Posted by
6713 posts

Hey, if Fast Eddie tells you to stay put, take that seriously!

Plenty to see and do in Paris even on a second visit. And easy day trips include Chartres, Reims, St-Denis, Fontainebleau, Vaux-le-Vicomte, and others. No need to haul bags or change hotels.

I guess you've figured this out but I thought I'd pile on too. ;-)

Posted by
3398 posts

I would agree with the others who recommend just staying in Paris! I've spent months there and still haven't explored everything. If you MUST get out of the city for the day then consider Monet's gardens at Giverny or the ancient town of Provins. Vaux le Vicomte is a fantastic chateau outside of Paris that does an amazing candlelight evening and fireworks show - amazing!