Please sign in to post.

Day Bag..

Wondering what your favorite day bag is. and what you like to carry in it. Or do you use something else..

I plan to use a security neck pouch to keep my passport, credit card and euros safe.

The day bag would be for transporting a water bottle and a guide book.

How do you ensure that your phone stays safe from theft?

Thanks!

Posted by
2661 posts

I’ve got several bags by Tom Bihn—the small café bag, the side kick, and the parental unit (now retired). I love these bags. They all have what’s called O-rings inside of them so you can secure a key strap to it. That’s how I secure my phone and organizer pouch where I keep my credit card and some cash. The bags are all well made in Seattle. I prefer the halcyon fabric as it does well in the rain.

You can view the bags here. There’s good descriptions with videos.

https://www.tombihn.com/collections/shoulder-bags

Posted by
6883 posts

I am not sure that you need to carry a neck wallet / pouch all the time... Fishing it out every time you need to buy something seems very cumbersome! Also, while technically mandatory in France, you do not really need to have your passport with you at all time. You just need some photo ID; a driver's license will do. If you do get stopped by the police, then you might need your passport, but this is a very unlikely event.
As for the phone... Front pockets aren't always comfortable, but they are relatively safe.

One thing, though: make sure that your bag cannot be snatched when you're sitting outside, and do not leave a phone on the table - keep it in your hand if you need to use it.

Posted by
27062 posts

I use a cross-body purse that has a pocket on the end suitable for a water bottle. My sunglasses are in a second open pocket on the other end of the purse. There's a wide, open pocket that works for something like a guidebook that's bulky but not--one hopes--attractive to thieves. Everything else is under a zipper. ATM card, passport and any extra cash I might have are inside an interior zippered pocket, so a thief would have to go through two zippers to find them. My wallet and cell phone (by far the most valuable thing I travel with) are buried in the bottom of the purse.

I find it easier and more natural to protect a cross-body purse than something like a dangling tote bag. However, my loaded-for-travel purse is quite heavy despite my efforts to carry only the essentials. Because of the weight, the purse gets uncomfortable by the end of a long day. I understand why many people prefer a backpack, but that wouldn't work for me since I'm constantly switching between regular glasses and sunglasses and want ready access to my water bottle. (I'm a summer traveler; I imagine off-season travelers don't need to carry water around with them.)

Posted by
1625 posts

My phone stays safe from theft by not pulling it out while in transit, like on the subway or pulling it out while walking around in sketch areas. Be aware of your surroundings, listen to your gut, find a bench or out of the way place to get your bearings, pull out the phone for directions, locations, addresses etc. Standing there looking confused and vulnerable could make you a prime target.

I use a normal cross body purse, just like I do everyday at home, only my travel one is much smaller because I only have what I need for the day and must have a zipper top. A Copy of my passport, my drivers license (Sometimes needed to give as security deposit for headphones at museums or attractions...I am not giving them my passport), a wallet with money one debit/one credit card, required tickets for the day, sunglasses, sunscreen, small makeup bag, hair clips/ties, scarf, camera, charger, glasses.... and now adding hand sanitizer, sanitizing wipes and mask.

Posted by
8035 posts

I use a bandolier phone case which is worn cross body and super convenient -- have used it for about 5 years and don't risk setting down the phone and having it taken or forgetting it. One can also buy a leather envelope that attaches to the case/lanyard which can hold a key, passport, CDC card, etc.

A small backpack for water bottle, sweater, umbrella is handy -- we are making due this trip with a simple nylon carrier bag -- one of those ones that folds down into a tiny square -- a little awkward but working. We didn't use the day pack at all last trip so I didn't bring it this time. -- and now would find it handy.

Posted by
2745 posts

Depends on the day. I have a small cross body bag that I wear quite often and if I need something bigger I have one of the Longchamp
Pillage bags that you can put your picnic, your picnic blanket and probably your child in.

I don’t protect myself using special bags or stuff. I protect myself by being aware of my surroundings

Posted by
8423 posts

ihcal, I use the RS Civita bag as my day pack. Mostly just a water bottle, tissues, map, phrase book, and maybe sunscreen and a rain jacket. And if I buy something along the way - postcards, fruit, etc., I use the bag for that too. I like it because it hangs limp like a pillow case when empty, so I can carry it in most places if I lose the water bottle.

Yeah phones are tough now that they are too big for most pockets. I usually have a jacket or vest with inside pockets, or sometimes one of those waterproof pouches (like you use at the beach) that hang from the neck, under my shirt. or sweater. Yes its bulky, but nobody's looking at me.

Usually, I know at the beginning of each day, how much I might need to spend during that day. I'll just take that approximate amount of cash (for small things) in one of my pockets, so its loss wont be significant. If I know I'm going to need to pay for more, or need an ATM stop, for example, I'll just put that one card in a secure pocket. The goal is never to have to get into the neck wallet which is deep storage only,

Posted by
12 posts

We left our passport in our room safe and kept a photo on the phone. I did take my US drivers license with me as "official ID" if that were needed.

I used a small wallet with only one credit card, Navajo easy card, enough cash for the day, and driver's license in my front pocket. The rest were in my room safe. I generally used tap-to-pay with my phone about 80% of the time so the wallet rarely came out.

Regarding safety - I realize I was VERY lucky, but this was my experience:

I lost my wallet in a small park across from Shakespeare Books. I didn't know it until I was far away looking for my Navigo Easy card. When we got back to the hotel room, I immediately canceled the card I thought was in my wallet (turns out to have been the card that was in the room safe, aargh!) and ordered a replacement driver's license for return. Then, I got a call from a guy who said he found my wallet and looked up my name on Facebook, saw what hotel I was in from my posts and called. We arranged to meet at Shakespeare & Co. He gave me everything back -nothing missing (but the credit card was now dead since I also canceled it!). Even the cash was all there. He refused a reward.

I have NOTHING but nice things to to say about the French, even Parisians!!

Regarding canceled credit cards, both Chase and Capital One immediately updated the cards in my Apple Wallet with the new numbers so I could still use them anytime Tap-To-Pay was accepted. Very nice!

Overall, we found Paris very safe - we did have a way of securing our zippers on our day bag so nobody could easily get into them when we were on the Métro or bus, and we just moved right past the petitioners without making any eye contact. Never an issue other than my own clumsiness in the park. Just be sensible and keep some back up in your room safe.

Posted by
195 posts

Marvelous story!

Many thanks to all for your very helpful feedback!

Posted by
752 posts

Regarding canceled credit cards, both Chase and Capital One immediately updated the cards in my Apple Wallet with the new numbers so I could still use them anytime Tap-To-Pay was accepted.

Wow, that is useful to know! I will have to check if Amex does the same. Always learning something on the Forum.