Please sign in to post.

Dates for 2016 France Tours?

I'm planning a trip to France next summer (2016), and need to reserve another part of my itinerary soon in order to secure a good rate. I want to include the Paris/Northern France tour on our visit. Does anyone know when the 2016 dates will be available? Thanks for your help!

Posted by
32201 posts

lyne,

There was a similar post in one of the sections on the Forum recently, but I'd have to search to find it. As I recall, Laura provided detailed information on the dates.

Generally the new tours start to appear about August or September.

Posted by
13931 posts

Here is the thread to which Ken referred.

https://community.ricksteves.com/travel-forum/general-europe/2016-tour-dates

Do note that this year that tour always starts on a Tuesday or a Friday. This tour was not on my radar screen last year so I don't know if it is typical, but I am guessing it is. You can certainly call the RS tour desk tomorrow and ask if this is the usual set up. Also look and see that while it appears to be every Tuesday, there a few Friday dates that are skipped. If you are having to book something before you will know the dates for sure, I would go with a potential of having a Tuesday departure and allow some slack time in Paris to catch a Friday departure on either side.

Posted by
3 posts

Thanks, that's helpful. I'll figure that Tuesday starts are a safe bet for planning the starts.
I'd also like to hear from anyone who has done the 11-day tour of Paris/northern France. I've been a little leery of a "tour" group, but it would sure free me from having to set up all the hotels, travel, and individual fees if we just did it on our own. I'd appreciate hearing from folks how they felt about it.
Thanks!

Lynette

Posted by
13931 posts

Well, Lynette, I can give you a report in October, lol!!

I do have to tell you I am sold on RS tours. Have taken 5 and another 2 booked for this summer. I spend time before and after on my own, but I love the guides, the other group members Rick attracts and the whole plan. I expect Ken will say the same. I have also done some tours thru Road Scholar and I find Rick's tours have group members that are more active and yes, it makes a difference that there is a No Grumps policy. I feel like group members self select for these tours as you do have to carry your luggage, be ready to walk several miles (up to 10-12 miles per day on the Best of Europe tour!!), climb stairs and be flexible. There is plenty of free time for you to explore and eat on your own. You can opt out of any day's activities unless it is a transit day. The company is very good about laying out exactly what you will see and what entries the tour covers. Really, I have had no surprises on a Rick Steves tour. Well, I HAVE had surprises, but they were good ones! A bike rental here, a gelato there, extra wine at dinner another time.

I have done 2 of the Rick Steves tours solo and 3 with family members. I had a terrific time on all of them!

Posted by
16893 posts

Summer 2016 tour dates should be published online by the end of August. Winter/Off Season dates will be released in mid-May.

Posted by
3 posts

Thanks for the input everyone! I'm definitely putting a RS tour on my 2016 planning list. :)

Posted by
208 posts

I'm also planning a fall 2016 tour but already backed into the dates I plan to use. You can pretty well do that by looking at this years dates, then use the same day of the week start dates and use the 2016 calendar.If it is a popular tour, the dates should be right on. I'm pretty sure I have the dates correct that I can use to start my pre-planning. It has worked for me twice before.