Please sign in to post.

D-day Guides

Can anyone recommend a Normandy beach/D-day guide in Bayeux?

Posted by
32324 posts

pm,

I haven't checked recently, but I'm sure there are some listed in the RS France guidebook. You could have a look at....

When are you planning to be in Normandy? It will likely be very busy during the anniversary date. Pre-booking well in advance would be a really good idea.

Posted by
782 posts

No matter which of the suggested Tours that you want to Reserve,it must be done ASAP as they do book up fast as suggested by other Posters.I went with Overlord and was totally Impressed by the knowledge of our guide.
Mike

Posted by
243 posts

Try Chris Emery. See visitdday.com and reviews on Trip Advisor.

Posted by
94 posts

Another vote for Dale Booth. My husband and I spent a day with him in 2006 and it is one of my all-time travel highlights. He and his wife also run a B & B where we spent 2 nights. It was lovely and they were great company!

Posted by
34 posts

We used Overlord tours twice for our D-day adventure. We did the half day tour. Our guide on each trip was wonderful! We had plenty of time to see everything. We traveled via minivan - there were 6 in our group. I would highly recommend them! Very personalized trip. Very easy to find the meeting point in Bayeaux - and I feel they gave us so much more information than we would have received with a larger tour group. I think we paid 120 E total for both myself and my husband a few years back - the price seemed to small compared to the value/wonderful tour we received (I would have thought it should have been more).

Posted by
27629 posts

I'm glad Jeannette enjoyed her half-day Overlord tours, but I really don't recommend anyone's half-day tour. Bayeux is quite a drive from the invasion sites, and that round-trip drive consumes a significant part of any half-day tour. You get a lot more "tour" and if go for the full day.

Posted by
34 posts

ACRAVEN - I totally agree about the half-day tour. If you can do the full day or 2 day tours - you definitely need to do it. You are limited to the number of sites to visit on the half day tour. But whatever amount of time you can have - you will definitely walk away deeply moved in remembering back to what happened on those beaches. My husband carries his rock from Omaha beach in his pocket every day - it reminds him that no matter how hard of a day that he may have had, nothing compares to what happened on June 6th and the days that followed in 1944.

Posted by
768 posts

Acraven is right. Full day (or more) is definitely preferred.