Please sign in to post.

Customs at CDG

About how long does it take to clear customs and get luggage when arriving from the states at CDG. We are taking a train from the airport to Germany and I would like to purchase the train tickets ahead of time.

Posted by
7884 posts

30 minutes to 2 hours. If you chose to purchase a ticket ahead of time pay heed to get one that is refundable in case your flight is canceled or delayed. When I have gambled like this I usually get the cheapest ticket possible and give myself 4 hours between the scheduled arrival of the plane and the departure of the train or plane on a separate ticket.

Posted by
8293 posts

sav It is Passport Control, not Customs, that can and probably will, take up your time. You pass through Customs after you pick up your luggage, and I do mean pass through, unless you look suspicious.Try not to look suspicious. Works for me. I once won an award for not looking suspicious.

Posted by
11180 posts

Yes Customs is more of a factor when you return to US, declaring purchases made abroad.

Posted by
2 posts

Thank you. I laughed at try not to look suspicious. I will probably just look really tired after a 9 hour flight with my 5 year old, lol.

Posted by
3127 posts

Before you get into the line for Passport Control, find a bathroom and use it.
There is no getting out of the line once you're in it!
Bring some snacks or small toy for your five year old.
Last time I was in Paris, it took two hours to get through the line, and a woman up ahead fainted and had to be carried off by ambulance.
You could be lucky and have it take less, but be prepared.

Posted by
13991 posts

+1 to heading for the bathroom as soon as you deplane before you get to the line up for Immigration.

Posted by
8889 posts

The sequence is:
1) Immigration (passport control) - 30 minutes to 2 hours
2) Collect luggage - not long as you have taken so long in immigration your luggage is already there.
3) Customs - Zero time, you just walk through the green "nothing to declare" door. 95%+ of people are not stopped.

Posted by
1142 posts

I totally disagree on the bathroom recommendation. That guarantees you will be at the back of the line for passport control. My advice is to hustle on up and make your way to the front of the line. Your flight alone could overwhelm the agents at the gate, and you want to be as close to the front of the line as you can be. If you are that concerned about using the toilet, do so on the flight—and before they turn on the seat-belts sign. #dontbeasheep

My too sense...