Please sign in to post.

covid testing

With the airline mask mandate being lifted, does anyone know if we still need a 24 hour covid test to enter the US from Europe?

Posted by
2 posts

Does anyone know if a COVID rapid NAAT test is acceptable instead of a rapid antigen test?

Posted by
13937 posts

@jaycox, here is the CDC link to what kind of tests qualify.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/testing-international-air-travelers.html

You must be tested with a viral test to look for current infection – these include an antigen test or a nucleic acid amplification test (NAAT).
Phrases indicating a test is an antigen test could include, but not are not limited to:
Rapid antigen test
Viral antigen test
Also, could be noted as Antigen Chromatographic Digital Immunoassay, Antigen Chemiluminescence Immunoassay, or Antigen Lateral Flow Fluorescence
Examples of available NAATs for SARS-CoV-2 include but are not restricted to:
Reverse transcription polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR)
Isothermal amplification including:
Nicking endonuclease amplification reaction (NEAR)
Transcription mediated amplification (TMA)
Loop-mediated isothermal amplification (LAMP)
Helicase-dependent amplification (HDA)
Clustered regularly interspaced short palindromic repeats (CRISPR)
Strand displacement amplification (SDA)

Posted by
2 posts

Thanks Pam and Mira.

I didn't realize that we could take the test any time the day before so that is good to know.

We are travelling to Italy (leaving late April) which doesn't currently have any COVID test requirement to get into the country but Rick Steve tours does require testing within 2 days before the start of the tour. They indicated that tours "are required to show proof of a negative COVID-19 viral test (PCR, antigen, or a travel approved self-test administered via tele-health video call)" but didn't say anything about the Rapid NAAT test. The CDC accepts both the Rapid NAAT and Rapid Antigen tests for international travel so I would assume that both the NAAT and Antigen tests would be acceptable for Rick Steve tours.

I have no issue with taking the test but the rapid NAAT tests are more plentiful in my area and I would like to get it over with before we depart so we have more time to enjoy Italy!
Just wondering if anyone has taken the NAAT test before their RS tour and if it was accepted.

Thanks to all!