Please sign in to post.

Corsica

We will be traveling to Corsica in October for the 1st time. We are well traveled, especially in France but have many questions about what town(s) to visit or where to stay ($250-$300 a night) in Corsica We are in our mid-60's to early 70's.

It's so easy to get around in France but Corsica seems to have disjointed towns separated to many miles if windy roads. We cannot make up our minds to be in Bonifacio or Calvi (or possibly something else) We would rent a car a travel a little but would love to be in a place with a charming "Centre Ville" and also where we can walk to meals and enjoy our wine in hand while watching the Sunset and the rest of the world go by.

Looking for ideas, thank you, Roberta and Tom Stone

Posted by
4420 posts

I think I read that the French are moving towards giving Corsica some sort of independence, there likely won't be major changes come fall but there could be some to consider.

Posted by
92 posts

The white cliffs of Bonifacio against the blue water are quite nice.

Posted by
6916 posts

How many days do you have?
It is not possible to visit all of Corsica from a single base due to very slow roads, so if you have time I would suggest a base in the south (why not Bonifacio) and one in the north (such as Calvi).

Posted by
2 posts

We have only 3 days…and thought we should stick to a Northern town or Southern.

Posted by
1 posts

We had a great trip to Corsica, drove everywhere! We started in Porto Vecchio at a very swanky hotel (Calarossa?). We loved Bonifacio, and beautiful beaches on the way (palambogia?). I don’t recommend Ajaccio or the other big town near the Cap Corse, but there are some spectacular little mountain towns. Highlight of our trip was the town of Piana and the Calanques. We stayed at a very old world hotel called Les Roches Rouges, and loved the town beach ( even the treacherous road to get there). Have fun!