Please sign in to post.

Corsica

Hello,
Can anybody recommend the easiest / most cost effective way to travel from Lyon to Corsica?

Posted by
14542 posts

I would suggest taking the TGV from Lyon to Toulon, then the ferry to Corsica.

You'll be taking the ferry in the historical opposite direction of Napoleon and his family in 1793, when they were banished from the island. I've been to Toulon twice, 2nd time by train from Paris in 1999.

Posted by
3167 posts

Or for about the same price you could fly from Lyon to Ajaccio, Calvi or Bastia though I don’t believe there is daily service to the island. This could save a lot of time. Beautiful scenery and beaches. You definitely need a car to explore the island. My favorite city was Bonifacio on the southern tip. Great boat rides to see the white chalk cliffs. If you have the time, take the ferry across to Sardinia for a few days.

Posted by
4051 posts

Skyscanner shows a couple of non-stop flights in winter, but not every day. In summer, the daily flights are really cheap.

Posted by
14542 posts

Hi,

When are you going to Corsica? If in the summer, be prepared to face a broiler.

My first time in Toulon, ie on the Mediterannean was in July 1997...a shocker facing that combination of the sun, heat, the latitude, water, etc., ie, nothing I had experienced in Europe or the US, not even in Texas or Alabama in August.

In 1999 I went back to Toulon, also in July, this time I knew what I would expect...still a broiler

Posted by
15 posts

thanks for all the pointers. I think we will by flying. But from Corsica we are wanting to go to Florence. I am guessing by air as well...any suggestions here? We will be going in September, so I have a lot of time to plan.

Posted by
10215 posts

You take a ferry from Bastia to Livorno to get to Florence.