Please sign in to post.

cooking Class in Paris

Hi, Has anyone taken a cooking class in Paris? I am checking out Cook N With Class and Le Foodist.
Le Foodist takes you to a market in the Latin Quarter and Cook N with Class takes you a lesser known
market in Montmartre.
My daughter said she would prefer to take the morning market and cooking class to leave us the rest of
day free. I am thinking we will check out some neighborhoods close by to where we take the class.
Any suggestions? Thanks.

Posted by
62 posts

We have taken three classes with Cookn with Class - during three different visits to Paris - including the Morning Market Class twice (in 2014 and again just last month). I can't recommend them enough. I took my teenage daughters and they also loved it. The Morning Market Class is actually longer than the morning - you meet at around 9:00 a.m., shop, then cook, then eat. It ends around 2:00 to 3:00, depending on how long it takes to cook and eat. Cookn with Class is right in Montmartre, so we visited the Montmartre sights after the class, including Sacre Coeur (you get to walk up tons of steps to work off your heavy lunch!) and the various artists out on the streets. It was a fun way to spend a couple of hours after the class.

Posted by
2466 posts

Some of the markets are much larger and more interesting than others - Bastille, Marche Aligre, Barbes, to name the most interesting. I would base my choice on the market first, and suggest that you go with a group that meets in the morning, when things are not too hectic.

Posted by
69 posts

The Le Foodist goes to a market in the Latin Quarter. I have no idea which market is better
or more interesting, but I am up for more suggestions.
I would like to visit Sacre Coeur though, so I was thinking Cook N with Class would be a good
class to go to. I have also heard we should visit the Latin Quarter and Le Marais. It is so confusing.
I know we have to pick SOMETHING and do it, but I am doing lots of research.
I appreciate all of the feed back on this travel forum.

Posted by
784 posts

There is also La Cuisine Paris. Their morning class goes to a market on the left bank. Their class room is on the right bank directly across from Notre Dame. I have done the evening class at Cook'n with Class as well as the morning class at La Cuisine. They are both good, and I can recommend both, but La Cuisine's location is more central IMO.

Posted by
681 posts

I've taken one market class and three cooking classes at La Cuisine Paris. I enjoyed them so much that I've signed up for three more classes this year. The instructors were wonderful, class sizes were small and the school location is quite central.

Posted by
2466 posts

How much time will you be spending in Paris?

If you familiarize yourself with the Metro system before you arrive - just Google a Metro map, then www.ratp.fr will explain how to buy and use tickets - you'll see that you are never very far away from anything you want to see or do. You should Google a city map, to find out where things are located, then plan your trip.
Paris is a small city - you can walk from one end to the other in 2 hours.

Posted by
69 posts

We have an afternoon/evening after we arrive and 3 full days. (Wed afternoon evening, Thurs, Friday and Sat )
We want to do the usual things: Eiffel Tower (we are staying within 10 minutes walking distance to it), Louvre,
Arc de Triomphe, Champs Elyseees.

I am wanting to take a night cruise on the Seine to see the lights and monuments. Maybe Wed night when we first arrive?
Thursday- Louvre and Arc de Triomphe and Champs Elysees

Plus we want the cooking class (Fri or Saturday)
And I would like to visit some neighborhoods: the Latin Quarter, Notre Dame, St. Germain?, Isle de la Cite?
Monmartre, Sacre Coeur

Do you recommend taking a paid walking tour? Or DIY? I know about Rick Steve's Pocket Paris. I also found City Walks Paris...cards that you can take with you for just the walk you want, and I found a book published in 2012 cheap (haven't purchased it) Walking Paris.
I am very interested in seeing the old Paris. I think Monmartre is the neighborhood for this, right?

If you want to private message me, that is fine, if you feel this is off topic.
THANKS!!!

Posted by
5516 posts

I've taken 5 classes over the years with Cookn with Class (including the evening market), one class with La Cuisine, and one with Le Cordon Bleu.

I really enjoyed the Cookn with Class Market class. You will go shopping for your dinner and will stop at the fromagerie, the green grocer, the butcher, the bakery, the fish market, etc as you buy your ingredients. The chef will take time to explain about various customs as you shop. You'll make a multi-course meal with a cheese plate and plenty of food and wine. The classes that I have taken there have been very fun.

Personally, I think the evening class is a better option on a short trip as it gives you most of the day to sightsee.

I took one class at La Cuisine (a souffle class) and it was also quite good.