Please sign in to post.

cooking class in Paris

My wife and I will be in Paris during April and May of 2019. She is interested in taking a cooking class, in English (her French is limited). Anyone know of a cooking class (French cooking) that is not too expensive (not more than $500 for a week)? Thanks. Peter

Posted by
7129 posts

I took the croissant cooking class with La Cuisine Paris, and I know they offer several different classes. I think mine was about $90 a few years ago, and I was very pleased with the chef and class structure, besides enjoying the results! And I’ve made them several times at home.

Posted by
362 posts

I use “experiences” with AirBNB. I find the people who develop these classes/experiences are local entrepreneurs. For cooking classes you can look under food or classes tab. The only downside is the host usually has a job and the dates they are available vary. I have enjoyed all the experiences I’ve taken and would definitely book a cooking class.

Posted by
1 posts

My friend and I choose the “ Cookin’ with” class in Paris and took the Morning Market Class. It was wonderful!! Easily the best experience for us in Paris. There is a group of 8 with an English speaking instructor. The meal is designed the day of with the the tastes of the group—not pre-planned. The instructor takes you around the area markets and provides you with information about the meats/cheeses/etc. and you purchase the ingredients for your meal before returning to work as a group to create a wonderful meal with wine and cheeses and completed with a dessert! It was very leisurely (maybe 4-5 hours) so I felt like it was worth every penny. It was such an incredible experience. My husband and I will be going to Paris in a couple weeks and I can’t wait to take him! I think the approximate cost is $195/person, and you can have guests join just for the meal for about $50. Have a great trip!

Posted by
2281 posts

hey adodd
check out: cooknwithclass.com or lefoodist.com or check timeout.com in paris. we did one in florence and was lots of fun. you may be able to do more than one class over the week and get a discount. have fun and bon appetit.
aloha

Posted by
3387 posts

Another good resource for cooking classes is eatwith.com. It's a great website listing people all over the world who host you in their home for meals, tastings, and/or cooking classes. There are some fabulous options in Paris! Some of them are professional chefs who specialize in different kinds of food - rather than going to one place for a week you can have different experiences with different people all over the city. Some of them fill up fast but you are planning well ahead of time so you should have no problem getting what you want.

Posted by
34 posts

We did the cooking class in Montmartre with Anne of "Anne is cooking" (website). It was wonderful--we started by gong shopping for pastries, then walking up to her house with a scenic view of Sacre Coeur and cooking breakfast items, served with superb coffee, juice, and more. Her English is excellent, the house is very authentic, she is a great cook, and it was one of the highlights of our Paris visit. She also has an option for afternoon tea or lunch, or drinks on her outdoor patio. Check her website, or find her on Airbnb "experiences."

Posted by
1059 posts

Check out the Cordon Bleu Institute. I just did 3 days of pastry classes with them and it was absolutely fantastic. Everything is provided, you get a lovely apron, tea towel and hat to take away along with all the goodies you've made. It is super professional and the classes are taught in French and then simultaneously translated into English (or in English and then into French depending on the nationality of the chef). It's on the banks of the Seine not far from the Eiffel Tower.

Posted by
64 posts

I will second Cook'n with Class. My husband and I spent Thanksgiving week taking cooking and food pairing classes to celebrate my birthday. Each class we took was fantastic. We were able to take home some of the items we baked at the end of the class. A few days later the recipes were emailed out. We are now trying to figure out how when to go back and take more!

Posted by
10120 posts

Skyegirl and Jeanpaul,
Were these hands-on or demos?

Glad to hear the Cordon Bleu has opened to accommodating short-term students. It used to be only the long course and only in French with no translation. Sink or swim.

Posted by
41 posts

Just a week ago, I took Le Foodist’s Morning Market Visit and Cooking Class. It is one of the highlights of my trip. Frederick was our wonderful knowledgeable chef/guide. Not only did we enjoy his commentary (historical tips as we walked our way to the Maubert Marche thru the Latin Quarter, we were all assigned tasks preparing our meal (learned some techniques which I will definitely use back home!) and we enjoyed a very tasty dejeuner. All in English. Small group. Perfect for one day. They offer all kinds of classes. Very easy to get to on the metro, just steps from the Cardinal Lemoine stop.

Posted by
1059 posts

Yes at Cordon Bleu, it was a full hands on 'do it yourself' course with instruction and demo by the chef. Class size was between 5 (for the chocolate tart course I did) up to 16 for the macarons. Max would be 16 based on the number of workstations in the kitchen.

You get to keep what you make, along with recipe and method booklet, an apron, hat/cap and tea towel.

I did three classes and can't wait to go back and do more.