Please sign in to post.

Contactless credit card

Is everything contactless now during Covid as far as credit card or are Vendors still excepting the chip cards?

Posted by
2545 posts

No one will else touch your credit card, whether you pass it over the card machine (contactless) or insert it into the slot reader. As far as Covid is concerned, I don´t really see a huge difference.

One item I have noticed is that charges under 50€ typically are accepted without either an authorizing PIN or signature.

Posted by
15003 posts

Just about everything is contactless but you can still use your chip or signature card.

Some stores even have cash machines at their registers. You put in your cash and it spits out your change.

Posted by
4412 posts

Based on a vlog I watched recently, to buy metro tickets from a machine a PIN was necessary. My wife said WTH is that??

Posted by
13937 posts

I actually purchased Metro tickets from the window but had put my VISA card into the machine first and it did not ask for a PIN. I was trying to add a carnet to the Navigo Easy and did not see that option in English so went to the window as the guy was not busy.

And no, everything is not contactless. No problem with a chipped CC. I don't think I used a mag strip CC this time as most of mine have been converted to chips.

Posted by
2545 posts

My wife said WTH is that??

That is how most of the world makes a credit card purchase - verification by PIN.

Few US banks issue credit cards using PIN as default authentication. Some US banks issue authentication PINs for sales locations specifying their use. Most US banks issue cards with no PIN, other than a PIN allowing ATM withdrawals, which is a different subject (and a different type of PIN).

US Visa/Mastercard will tell you that their cards are accepted everywhere, which is generally true, but not true for all US bank issued cards. You´ll just have to try yours to see. Generally, if you spend under 50€, purchase authentication is not required.

RATP or SNCF service windows can swipe your US issued bank card if they are being refused by the ticket machines.

Posted by
7552 posts

You should be able to request a contactless card, most of mine have been replaced or an offer made to replace with contactless.

One advantage of contactless is that it negates the need for a PIN for smaller purchases, and at unattended kiosks in most cases.