Please sign in to post.

Concerts at St. Chapelle

I am looking at tickets for concerts at St. Chapelle. Google is giving me too many choices of websites to buy them from and as far as I can tell, you can't buy them directly from the St. Chapelle official website. I'm not familiar with French booking websites and can't tell which ones are reputable (or not). Has anyone purchased tickets? If so, what website would you recommend using to purchase them? Thanks!

Posted by
509 posts

We used the Classic Ticket website. No problems. We felt the 2d set of seats was sufficient (although we lined up early and were seated near the front of that section). Acoustics excellent all around. Based on Forum advice, we didn't fall for the champagne or dinner combo. This was 3 years ago; you'll probably get more current info from others.

Posted by
2130 posts

Hi Kate, that's the site I used too. If possible, select a concert that begins before sunset so you can see the beautiful stained glass windows illuminated. As we left there were folks coming in for the later concert - it was already dark and I think they missed out on some fine views. Very nice experience.

Posted by
482 posts

I agree with Kate about picking the earlier (sunset ) concert. The windows illuminated by the setting sun were spectacular. I also agree that it's a good idea to line up early and get a seat in the front of the second (less expensive) section. We didn't want to sit any closer because we wanted to be viewing the chapel as well as hearing the music. It was really enjoyable.
We purchased tickets from the woman who runs the Tabac/souvenir shop directly across the street from the entrance to St Chapelle (on Boulevard du Palais). Not sure how we heard about her, but it must have been on this forum or in Rick Steves' Paris book. We bought them about two weeks before the concert date but the woman assured us that we wouldn't have been in danger of them selling out if we had bought them later.

Posted by
2466 posts

I would buy them from the link, mentioned above. They are reputable tickets.

Posted by
198 posts

Thanks all! The earliest show, across the range of dates we will be in Paris, is at 20:00. I think we should be able to catch some of the beautiful stained glass filter light!
How early should we arrive at the church to get better seats? Also, what is the dress code?

side note: ClassicTic is a fantastic site! I found it so easy to use and was tempted by all of the other concerts at various churches around the city. Thanks for directing me there!

Posted by
20094 posts

I had no trouble buying tickets at the brasserie across the street. Since they having pricing tiers based on how close your seats are, no real reason to arrive super early unless you must have aisle seats. The chapel is small, so even back row has good sound. Just get there early enough to get through security.

Posted by
2466 posts

No dress code at all. You can go in your sneakers, because it's not a consecrated site.
You might have to push yourself to get a front row seat, however. Parisiens and tourists have notoriously bad manners and tend to push.

Posted by
12172 posts

More important than A or B section seating is time of day. Check sundown times and pick a show before dark so you can see the late afternoon sun shining through the windows. Arrive plenty early so you can choose a seat then wander around. A seat at the front of B section is fine, I don't think it's worth paying extra to sit a little closer (or for a single glass of champagne). The place is really more beautiful that I could have imagined. I wanted to see something other than Vivaldi's Four Seasons but that was all that was available on the nights I had free.

Posted by
8293 posts

I have a slight suspicion that the concert at Sainte-Chapelle is always the Four Seasons. It was on the three occasions I have attended a concert there. Not that there’s anything wrong with that .....

Posted by
482 posts

It looks like there is some variety in the concerts. At present classictic.com shows a Bach Violin Concerto and a Sacred Music concert as options in addition to the Four Seasons concert that has already been mentioned here.

Posted by
8059 posts

I can't see any reason to want a front row seat; in fact you probably have a better view of the stained glass from the middle or back. The whole point of going to this is to see the room and thus going early when the sun is still shining through those windows and sitting far enough back to see the sweep of the room are all good. The room itself is tiny, so it really doesn't matter all that much where you sit. Seeing someone sawing away on the violin on the 4 Seasons is not as interesting as lifting your eyes to the top of the arches to view the stunning stained glass.

Posted by
784 posts

Actually, when I went to the Four Seasons concert last September, I found the musicians themselves, especially the lead violinist, to be very entertaining. He was quite the character. I sat about halfway back, had a good view of the windows - it was still light outside upon arrival, so the windows were well lit, but not as brilliant as they would be in the morning or afternoon - and could hear the music very well. The concert was short, only about an hour, but very enjoyable, and the ease of getting into the chapel made it well worth the cost of the ticket.