Please sign in to post.

Coming to Normandy June 20-22 2015

Would love to do a tour of d day beaches and see vimy memorial near Arras. How much time do you need at Vimy? Where is the best place to stay was hoping to stay in one place for 2 nights. Rouen ? Or would you stay in Bayeux on night and move the next?
Thanks in advance

Posted by
435 posts

We decided to rent a car in Caen and just stay in one place. Our choice was Ferme de la Ranconniere outside of Bayeux and we loved it. We really enjoyed having the rental car so that we could spend as long or as short a time we wanted in each place, but a lot of people love the tours. Vimy looks great, but would be a pretty long drive from Bayeux - 3.5 hours, and still over 2 hours from Rouen. We did visit two Canadian WW2 cemeteries, the American Cemetery and the German Cemetery which were all easy drives for us from Bayeux. Most of the cemeteries were less than an hour visit, except the American where there are displays that can take longer if you are really interested - we were. You might like to stay closer than Rouen, and see what other points of interest are near Vimy.

Posted by
32683 posts

My experiences may not be representative but my experience is that I spent an entire week in Normandy a few years ago, and spent 4 days exploring the various areas along the 50 mile long stretch of beaches and inland. I spent an entire day at my number one attraction of Arromanches.

With the various beaches one after the other there is plenty to see.

I spent about 3 or 4 hours at Vimy Ridge last summer and really had to drag myself away because I had to check in at my apartment before the end of the day.

It is a most impressive installation.