Please sign in to post.

Colmar, France

Any recommendations for what to see and buy in Colmar? I know about the unique look of the city.

Posted by
1212 posts

I haven't been in over twenty years. But if it were me, I would travel on the Alsace Wine Route (La Route des Vins) through several small towns north of there, and buy as much wine as I could carry back.

Posted by
8837 posts

We liked the art work of the artist known as "Hansi" and brought back a couple of his prints. I think there was at least one shop/museum of his stuff.

Posted by
776 posts

We used Colmar as a base to vosit nearby places. We saw Saint- Hippolyte which was so cute in a very nice wine area. We also took a day to visit Haut-Koenigsbourg castle which was amazing.

On our way out we went to Eguisheim which was the cutest places EVER. I still see it in my dreams at night. Wine and currant jams were popular.

In Colmar itself, it was late October so we just walked around, ate and shopped.

Posted by
257 posts

Arts et Collections d'Alsace around the corner from Place Schwendi has a nice selection of local handicrafts for sale. There is painted pottery everywhere as well as antique shops and a flea market on Place des Dominicains on Fridays. In late August 2014, different wineries took turns selling wine for tasting and purchase at the old customs house. The Isenheim altarpiece at the Unterlinden Museum is classic must-see. The town is a delight.

Posted by
32322 posts

Debbie,

What to buy will probably depend somewhat on your personal interests. As far as what to see, I would highly recommend the Unterlinden Museum. Are you planning to only take a day trip to Colmar?

Posted by
4684 posts

I think the Unterlinden Museum is only really worthwhile if you like pre-1600 art - I don't particularly and didn't find it worth the money.

Posted by
157 posts

Yes, this is a day trip.

What are the general items anyone might buy in this town?

Posted by
1206 posts

I went to Colmar for three nights on the Eastern France tour. It is a lovely and as you say unique city. We popped into several shops along our walks and there is tons of things to buy. Souvenirs mainly. Plenty of cute things but I saw nothing I wanted to buy. I could not recommend something special to purchase.

As others have said, the museum is excellent and we walked the charming streets and had drinks outside and there are wonderful resturants and we took a boat ride up the canal which was nice.