Please sign in to post.

Collioure?

What do you LOVE about Collioure? What don't you like? Would you recommend somewhere different for a three day trip where we don't want to feel like we're in a "city"?

Posted by
3551 posts

collioure is Very crowded like sardines at least in summer when i was there.
I Enjoyed the calanques. Beautiful limestone formations long the french southern coast. Some beach areas if that is imp to you.
There are boat excursions avail to visit these beautiful rk formations.
A gd base would be quaint Cassis.

Posted by
784 posts

I have only visited Collioure on day trips, but enjoyed it very much. I think it would be very pleasant in the evenings after the day-trippers leave. Cassis is also a good suggestion, however, it is on the other end of the Mediterranean coast, east of Marseilles while Collioure is just a few miles from the Spanish border. Where will you be prior to and after those three days? There are many other interesting places in the Languedoc-Roussillon region. I especially like the area around Pezenas.

Posted by
14509 posts

Hi,

In July 2011 I was there for more than three days. I liked it, was relaxing, refreshing place, also interesting, took the TGV that morning ca 1120 from Paris Gare de Lyon 7 hrs to Perpignan, direct , where we transferred to Collioure on a local train.

Posted by
271 posts

Loved Collioure! Spent 2 days in Girona, 3 days on the Costa Brava (at Calella de Palafrugel) and 3 days in Collioure. We had a car and made many day trips especially to Dali sites.
I'd be happy to share additional itinerary info (although most of our planning came from RS guide books) please let me know via a reply or PM.
Happy and safe travels.

Posted by
782 posts

We stayed in Collioure in May of 2011 for three days and enjoyed the area,very nice bay with a fortress and we drove into the country side and vinyards.
Mike

Posted by
2916 posts

collioure is Very crowded like sardines at least in summer when i was there

We had very good marinated sardines in Collioure; also anchovies. It's a great place to just stroll and have a meal or a drink with a view of the Mediterranean.

Posted by
13 posts

We were in Collioure for a day and a half after cruising on the Canal du Midi for a week (Homps to Port Cassafieres) and we loved it. We were there for the end of a Sunday and most of Monday. Sunday was jammed with people, but Monday was very laid back. It's a great place to walk around, to sit and sip coffee or sangria, and a nice place to take a dip in the Mediterranean.

One thing we learned that helped us on this trip is that there is a bus from Collioure to Perpignan for one Euro. Perpignan is where one catches the fast train to Barcelona or Paris. We had a problem with our train connection to Perpignan from Collioure so this proved to be a life-saver. We also noticed tourists getting on the bus going the opposite direction and would love to hear how people use this bus to tour this area of France.

Posted by
3391 posts

I just recommended a visit to Collioure to a colleague of mine...when he got home from his trip he said that Collioure "changed his life" and he can't stop going on about it! Still waiting for an explanation of exactly what that means but it's definitely positive!

Posted by
15 posts

Drove up to Collioure Feb 2016 prior to a RS Spain tour. I have traveled extensively all over France and this town was magnifique. Take RS suggested drive to the Madeloc Tower on D86a. The views at the summit of the Mediterranean coast are breath taking. The narrow windy one lane road (equivalent to a US bike path) to the view was a blast but not for the faint of heart. Town, restaurants and surrounding hikes made for a pleasant 3 day stay. I would go again in a heartbeat.

Posted by
556 posts

Just got back from four days in Collioure. It was dreamy. All sunlight, beaches, rose wine and rustling leaves. It's a great place to just "be".