Please sign in to post.

Cinque Terre to Provence

In late September am traveling by train from Monterosso to St. Remy de Provence, arriving at the Avignon TGV station. Several people have suggested that instead of picking up my rental car in Avignon that I consider renting a car at the Nice train station and meandering along the coast for a couple of days to St. Remy, spending the night somewhere along the way. I have the flexibility in my schedule but am not sure if what is between the two cities is enough to change my plans. This is my second time in Provence in three years, but my first solo, and I'd like to see/do things I didn't get to when traveling with family. We did not go west of Aix-en Provence before. I would appreciate it if you could share your thoughts or experiences with this area. Thank you.

Jim

Posted by
7175 posts

St Tropez would be nice, and probably expensive.
Keep in mind that pretty much all of Provence is west of Aix-en Provence - Arles, Avignon, Orange, Nimes, Montpellier.

Posted by
4 posts

when you look at the map, actually most of Provence is to the east and north of Aix... Arles and Avignon are on the western border.

Posted by
7175 posts

Strictly speaking (and after looking at maps online) Arles and Avignon mark the western edge of Provence. But in official terms Provence includes the Cote d'Azur and Alpes Haute + Alpes Maritimes. For me the 'real' Provence is this western part - ploughed fields, rustic farm houses and country lanes on either side of the Rhone River. Nimes and Montpellier are officially part of Languedoc-Rousillon yet you will still find them in guide books on Provence. So for me draw a triangle 'Marseille - Orange - Montpellier' and that's Provence.