Please sign in to post.

church

My family will be in Paris for Christmas - trying to get some votes on best Catholic mass to attend Christmas Eve.

Posted by
4917 posts

You'll have to specify what you define as " best". The Mass is the same, everywhere in the world. The only thing that differs is the language, how fancy or humble the church itself, and perhaps how big or accomplished it's choir.

Perhaps it's the wording, but I find something distasteful in voting on the relative merits of a religious rite.

Posted by
1585 posts

David - Saint Sulpice (Saint-Germain-des-Près District) and Sacre Coeur (Montmartre) cathedrals in Paris have wonderful Christmas eve masses. Those would be my top choices.

Posted by
752 posts

Saint-Sulpice has a beautiful service: Christmas Vigil with Choir and the great organ begins at 11pm, followed by Mass at Midnight. Arrive early for the Vigil to be sure of a seat, this is a vibrant parish. I don’t know the ages of your family, but there is an earlier family mass 7-8:30 pm. Just in case, Christmas Day masses are at 7, 9, and 11 am.

Edited to add: by the way, if it’s your first Mass in French, for the sign of peace, the expression in French is “La paix du Christ”, the peace of Christ. Use google translate to practice the pronunciation, and see the gentle smiles of welcome when your family uses it.

Posted by
6337 posts

david, every Catholic Mass I have attended in Europe has been special. If you are regular churchgoers, you already know the Order of the Mass; that never changes. I would, I think, for Christmas Eve choose a church known for its art or its music. I know St Sulpice has a legendary organ and organist. My "neighborhood" church when I'm in Paris is newer and simpler, but any of the historic churches should give you a wonderful experience. Sacre Coeur would also be amazing, I'm sure.

Posted by
127 posts

Hello!
We land in Paris at 9am Christmas Day - any recommendations/ times for Catholic mass on Christmas day?!
Thank you!

Posted by
9689 posts

If you Google any of the churches listed in the earlier responses, you will find their listings of Christmas services.

Posted by
3391 posts

Highly recommend St. Sulpice - their celebration masses are quite nice.

Posted by
2023 posts

It would be hard to go wrong with St Sulpice but St Eustache has a nice service also.

Posted by
12172 posts

I'd guess there will be multiple masses through the day (so everyone has a chance to attend). I was in Spain on Easter; that's how they did it - masses all day long.