Please sign in to post.

Christmas Markets in Alsace Region

Hi,
We are planning to visit the markets in early December in Colmar, Strasbourg and the surrounding small towns. As I've been reading about the energy crisis in Europe, I've begun wondering if the markets and towns will be lit up this year after all? Does anyone have any definitive info on this, or is it too early to tell?

Posted by
4366 posts

I was at the Strasbourg markets last year and they weren't especially lit up, just the normal kind of lighting on booths you see at a county fair.

Posted by
7025 posts

What I've read online is that there will be some concessions this year to the energy crunch. There will not be auxiliary heaters in the various chalets and at least one, the Gourmet Christmas Market will close at 9:00pm (earlier than normal). But I saw nothing about the lights being reduced. However that could change in the next two months so I wouldn't rely on it.

EDIT: This was for Colmar.

Posted by
123 posts

Thanks very much for your replies... if any further news comes your way, I'd be so glad to hear it.
Shirley

Posted by
93 posts

The most beautiful markets in smaller towns like Obernai. Colmar has some nice shops but is not a nice city in my view- it is now over touristy and also pretty dangerous in some parts. Strasbourg is still very Christmassy and also Metz is a beautiful city which has recently been winning xmas market awards in France and across Europe. so for for METZ (pronounced MESS).

Posted by
8938 posts

I am heading to the Alsace for 3 days on the 27th of Nov. and plan to visit Colmar, Strassbourg and Obernai. Will let you know how the lighting is when I get back.

Posted by
123 posts

Thanks, Ms. Jo - we are planning to leave on 11/30, so if you get a chance to post prior to the 30th, it would be appreciated!

Posted by
123 posts

We are back from our Alsace Christmas market adventure and really enjoyed it! The markets were all going and fully lit. Very charming! We took the Navette de Noel from our base in Colmar to the towns of Eguisheim, Ribeauville, and Kayersberg. Worked out very well. Unfortunately we had to skip Riquewihr due to bad weather, but the whole experience was delightful. Also went to the market at Ravenna Gorge in Germany near Breisgau (amazingly lovely!!) , Basel and Strasbourg, and Karlsruhe, Germany (another really fun one!!). Lovely Christmas trip! Thanks for all who gave advice and comments to help us plan it!

Posted by
13892 posts

Ohhhh, what can you tell me about the Navette de Noel? Is it run by the Tourist Offices?