Please sign in to post.

Christmas markets

My husband and I are planning a trip to Paris. We wish to attend Christmas Markets and also see Christmas decorations, activities etc. We will go sometime during the first two wks of December. Will most everything be up and going either week? Are booths open during the week as they would be on weekend? Thank you for your help.

Posted by
27 posts

Yes! The markets in Paris are lovely, and they'll surely be up and going by the first weeks of December. Check out the big market at La Defense while you're there (it's often overlooked by tourists, but it's great!).

If you have time, Strasbourg is a quick 2 hour train ride from Paris, and calls itself Capital de Noel. It's spectacular at Christmas-one of the best trees I've seen in Europe.

Enjoy!

Posted by
77 posts

I would add that if you make it to Strasbourg for the markets....jump down to Colmar. We had been to Colmar before in the summer, and returned to enjoy their lovely Christmas markets Nov/Dec 2017. You will not be disappointed.

Posted by
2653 posts

The Paris Christmas markets will be open early December and the booths are open every day. They have been greatly scaled down by the city in recent years and are now limited to only a portion of the Tuileries garden. The city´s primary complaint has been that what is sold is basically cheap trinkets made in China. The market at la Défense is identical to Tuileries, just on a smaller scale, with the market at Montparnasse being even smaller. One company operates all the markets, which is why they are so similar.

The most interesting aspect of the Paris Christmas markets is the food, which is the only reason I ever go. There will be raclette, fondue, tartiflette, oysters, spiced wine, aligot/saucisse and other regional specialities which are fabulous to try, particularly when the weather is cold.

The decorations along the Champs Elysées have been greatly reduced in recent years but maybe this year things will rebound. Of primary interest will be the store window displays of le Bon Marché (on rue de Sèvres), le Printemps, and les Galeries Lafayette on blvd Haussmann.

The best Christmas market in France is definitely in Strasbourg which, if markets are what you are coming to see, would well be worth the trip there to see.

Posted by
2533 posts

Another vote for a side trip to Strasbourg and Colmar. Like @jchurch, we had been to Colmar in the summer and loved it so much that we returned for the Christmas markets in December. Strasbourg is the crème de la crème of the Christmas markets. Spectacular! Give that area 3 or 4 nights.

Posted by
151 posts

I was underwhelmed by Paris Christmas Markets in 2019. The one in Tuileries has many midway carnival rides. Strasbourg is fantastic!

Posted by
44 posts

Thank you all. We will looking into training to those two markets. Too bad about Paris markets and decoration. I was hoping it would be great. I know Germany is tops but still hoping.

Posted by
8439 posts

The Paris markets are ridiculous; overpriced unattractive Chinese tat. The market in Chicago everyChristmas has more interesting decorations and objects than the ones in Paris which as noted are all run by the same concern and hawk the same uninteresting junk. It is fun to stroll and eat street food and drink mulled wine and they have activities for kids -- I remember interesting bouncing swings and little penguin scooters. So it can be a pleasant evening but not a shopping win.

Definitely head for Strasbourg for a night if the market is important to you. And Strasbourg center is charming with a lovely Cathedral with old interesting moving clock, canals and a quaint old town and of course the lovely Alsatian food.

Posted by
7259 posts

Christmas markets in Paris are a recent phenomenon; I do not remember seeing them before the years 2000-2005 or so.
They can be fun to browse, especially the small one at St Germain des Prés, but only if you happen to be passing by. They're definitely not good enough to be a destination in their own right!