Please sign in to post.

Christmas in Paris

My daughter and I are fulfilling a dream of going to Paris together -- and she has suggested this Christmas. Several years ago she and I spent the holidays in London and we both agree that it was a magical and very special trip for both of us. While we have a pretty good idea of the things we'd like to do (both of us are teachers, and I have been taking students abroad -- with my daughter accompanying us -- since she was six -- so almost 30 years of travel!) -- but have no idea what are the better places to stay. We don't need (nor can we really afford) a luxury hotel, and in fact, many times, when she and I have traveled in the US and in the UK< we have stayed in hostels. We are also trying to stay within a certain budget -- as I retire this year, and she is a newlywed! So can anyone offer any viable suggestions? I am thinking that we'd like to spend no more than 200 per night... and we were thinking of Montmartre -- but I don't know about safety there... We are both quite fit -- she is a yoga instructor, and I practice regularly -- so walking is not a particular issue (although I AM 67. and beginning to tire more quickly :)) I've been looking at VRBO and AirBNB as well as Booking.com. I am just not sure as to the safety issue... Citiidine Montmartre was recommended, as were several hostels in that area -- but again -- I am not familiar enough with the neighborhoods in Paris to know if they would work.
I would say that our travel "philosophy" is to live like a local as much as possible. Walk, use public transport. eat at local eateries, shop in the market, etc. Of course we need to see the sights -- but it's the experience of BEING there that we are looking for. The last time I was in Paris was about 25 years ago on a training tour with a student travel company, which is certainly no help at all. So I am relying on you good people to give me some guidance! Hoping to hear something soon, as I'm told we should book EARLY.
Merci beaucoups in advance!!

Posted by
13946 posts

A forum friend stays at the Timhotel Montmartre. It looks like they may have availability for your time frame and it's in the 200E range - a bit more for a refundable room which I would definitely go for. Since my friend stays here it is a safe area for an older female traveler.

https://www.timhotel.com/en/timhotel-montmartre-3_2?gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAjwh4-wBhB3EiwAeJsppAu-qwdw2n03m9NH9TQ_hxbzQn0QyQGTEp2vl4jwHZyu1l73smKR6BoCIf4QAvD_BwE

Posted by
922 posts
Posted by
8060 posts

Christmas is high season in Paris so hotels will be pricy. Montmartre is beautiful -- we have stayed there in apartments many times, I would not worry about safety. It really isn't an issue in Paris. One advantage of an apartment is you can then take advantage of the wonderful things in markets around Christmas. Christmas eve dinner tends to be pricey and require reservations well inadvance -- and the shops are full of magnificent things to eat at home.

I think the Musee des arts Forains is open with the rides and booths running during the Christmas season. You might check and put it on your list. https://janettravels.wordpress.com/2012/12/31/magic-at-musee-des-arts-forains/

One of the scenes in Midnight in Paris was shot there. Definitely recommending watching this film before the trip.