Please sign in to post.

Christmas in Paris

I will be visiting Paris for the first time at Christmas. I will be there from December 18-26. What clothes should I take with me? Does it usually rain then?

Posted by
531 posts

I was there last year from 17th to 30th.....it was great...first week in 50’s..not too bad and don’t remember rain or drizzle...the second week was colder low 40’s to high 30’s and some drizzly times ...no pouring down rain...I had a Uniqlo puffer coat to knees and also carried a packable rain poncho....not a fan of umbrellas..

You will have a fabulous time!

Posted by
814 posts

It's been a few years but I was there over Xmas - just dress warmly, have appropriate damp weather walking footwear and carry a travel umbrella or equivalent for unexpected showers. But, hey, I was just there in the end of May and saw it rain and hail for 15 minutes in the middle of the day so that's not bad advice for about any time in Paris.

Also remember that the days will be short - sunrise will be about 9:00am and sunset about 5:00pm which contributes to the chilly weather.

You didn't ask but many things were open on Xmas which surprised me. Don't miss the large department store windows with their Xmas displays and many commercial neighborhoods decorate as well.

And don't miss the Xmas fair booth markets that get set up. Mostly booths of things you probably don't want to buy but a great experience with roasted chestnuts and sometimes amusement areas set-up for kids. I actually did this more in Nice (where I was before Xmas) but they are a great holiday experience.

https://www.parisinsidersguide.com/10-best-christmas-markets-paris.html

Have a great trip,
=Tod