Please sign in to post.

Christmas Eve in Paris

My family will be in Paris on Christmas Even this year. Given that is a Sunday, what should I expect to be open from a restaurant perspective? Trying to figure out dinner for that night when we have an early flight home the next day. TIA!

Posted by
8068 posts

Christmas Eve is the feast day for the big meal for Christmas. Restaurants will have special meals in many cases (more elaborate and more expensive). You need to identify a restaurant and book now. If you are staying in a hotel ask them to assist NOW. They may also know of places that are more low key, offer continuous service and would be good choices the day before the flight when you perhaps want to eat a bit earlier than usual. (usual in Paris is 8-9.)

Posted by
78 posts

Hi all, any restaurants in Paris on Christmas Eve that are affordable for a family of 8 (elderly, adults, and teenagers, 9-year-old)?

Posted by
3707 posts

@ whywendywrites, what is your budget? I think that Bouillon Julien (https://www.bouillon-julien.com/) should be open. I ate there earlier this month and the room was as lovely as ever and the food as mediocre as ever, but the price is tough to beat and they take reservations.
Edit: By the way, I just saw an online article dated October 26, 2023 that recommends Chez Jenny for Christmas Eve dinner. Chez Jenny has been closed for years and is now Bouillon Republique. Bouillon Republique (https://bouillonlesite.com/bouillon-republique) might be open during the holidays. They do not typically take reservations and the line is insane on a regular day so who knows what the holidays will be like. If interested, I suggest checking to see if they will be open.

Posted by
906 posts

My husband, adult son and I had a lovely dinner at L'empire du 8eme on Christmas Eve last year. We made reservations on Open Table.

Posted by
764 posts

My go to for events like this, especially as there are eight of you, is Terminus Nord, opposite Gare du Nord.

Posted by
78 posts

Thanks all! Any recommendations for good and affordable restuarants, bistros, bakeries in the Montmarte area 22-23 Dec? My travel agency booked us at Hôtel Mercure Paris Montmartre Sacré-Coeur. It's my parents' first time to France/Paris and it would be nice for them to try local food!

Posted by
3707 posts

Le Wepler is very close to the Mercure. It is a very traditional brasserie. I am a little surprised that the TA put your family in the Mercure in Montmartre given the location and hills and the elderly persons in your group.