Please sign in to post.

Chocolate “tour”?

I’ve heard about chocolate tours in Paris. Looking for something family friendly (eight year old). Any recs? Thanks!

Posted by
6553 posts

Rather than a tour, when we went to Paris I had a list of the supposed best chocolate shops in the city. As we were going around the city, if we were near one of them, we’d stop in for a couple pieces each.

Posted by
322 posts

Paris walks does a good one, but unfortunately they do it very rarely

if you’re there when they’re doing it I recommend that, it was a lot of fun and very informative

Posted by
620 posts

Amy, Paris also has an annual 'Chocolate Salon' kind of expo. Never been, but heard that some of the booths make it an interesting visit.
yours in cocoa
I am done. the end

Posted by
9584 posts

The Salon du Chocolat is in November

Here’s the page from David Lebovitz’s excellent blog for the search “chocolate and pastry shops”

https://www.davidlebovitz.com/category/paris/chocolate-pastry-shops/

And here’s the link to the Paris Walks page on their Chocolate Walks.

http://www.paris-walks.com/chocolate-walk_m.html

You then need to look at the specific month page to find if/when a Chocolate Walk is being offered in the month that you will be visiting.

It doesn’t look like Paris by Mouth offers a specific chocolate tour, and anyway they note that they don’t allow children younger than 10 on their tours.

Posted by
10196 posts

The woman who researched and developed the original Chocolate Walk tour still gives them for Paris Walks once a month. The walk encompasses not just tastings in several different shops but also the history of chocolate and its arrival in Europe and its history in Paris. I've taken the tour twice.

Posted by
6553 posts

The chocolate shops on our list included:

1. Patrick Roger
    Address: 108, blvd. St. Germain
    Metro: St.-Germain-des-Près
    Tel.: +33 (0)1 43 29 38 42

2. La Maison du Chocolat
    Address: 225, rue du Faubourg St. Honoré
    Metro: Place des Termes
    Tel.: +33 (0)1 42 27 39 44

3. Michel Chaudun
    Address: 149 Rue de l'Université
    Metro: Invalides
    Tel.: +33 (0)1 47 53 74 40

4. Christian Constant
    Address: 37 rue Assas
    Metro: St. Placide or Rennes
    Tel.: +33 (0)1 53 63 15 15

5. Josephine Vannier
    Address: 4, rue du Pas de la Mule
    Metro: Bastille
    Tel.: +33 (0)1 44 54 03 09

6. Jean-Paul Hevin
    Address: 231 Rue Saint Honoré
    Metro: Tuileries or Pyramides
    Tel.: +33 (0)1 55 35 35 96

7. Michel Cluizel
    Address: 201, Rue St. Honoré
    Metro: Tuileries
    Tel.: +33 (0)1 42 44 11 66

8. Pierre Hermé
    Address: 72 Rue Bonaparte
    Metro: St.-Germain-des-Près
    Tel.: +33 (0)1 43 54 47 77

9. Jean Charles Rochoux Chocolatier
    16 Rue D Assas, 75006 Paris, France

Posted by
9584 posts

Those are all excellent chocolate shops Jaime has listed for you.

Most of them have multiple locations. You can find their other locations by looking on their websites.

My additional recommendation would be the exquisite Debauve & Gallais on the Left Bank.

Posted by
8061 posts

love the idea of identifying places and then trying them out versus paying someone for a tour which will involve more places convenient to them .

When we took kids to Paris we made a habit of letting them choose a pastry from a convenient bakery every afternoon; cheap and they loved it.

You could do the same with chocolate; identify top shops then make sure that the days activities took you near one or two and go in and get a few chocolates.

Posted by
38 posts

Great ideas. Thanks everyone. I'm happy to make my own tour--thought there might be some interesting history and anecdotes and general linking of places that might make it worthwhile.

The rare Paris Walks tour is indeed happening a couple days after we depart. Here's the description: The Chocolate and Pastry Tasting Tour (Wed 17 April 2.30pm)
Learn how to select and appreciate top quality chocolate. We visit a variety of superb chocolatiers on
this enjoyable walk which mixes history and anecdotes with delicious chocolate and pastry tasting.
Meet at metro Tuileries. (Price 50€ including tastings)

This one does a tour either of St Germain or Montmartre: https://www.secretfoodtours.com/paris/chocolate-and-pastry-tour/

Posted by
322 posts

So just a note, we did a secret food tour when we were there last spring. I won’t be doing it again. It was very disappointing

shortly after that I was supposed to use them for a private tour in Chicago and the night before they called and canceled because the only tour guide they had had broken his leg. OK I can accept that except that apparently he was going to be well by Tuesday because they could do the tour on Tuesday. What? You have one tour guide in Chicago that can do the tour I’m going to do he’s got a broken leg and but he’ll be well by Tuesday. When I asked the person who called me about that, she seemed incredibly flustered by that question😂. I just got a refund. This was a private tour for a big group and we could not move it to Tuesday.

Posted by
22 posts

We went to Paris and Brittany with our tween daughter couple years ago and found easy family friendly 'engagement' by making scavenger hunts. For example, Best gelatto/ice cream/ chocolate/ boulangerie for pan au chocolate(croissants ). Brittany is known for their crepes so in that area we were on a hunt for the best Creperie. I was on RS braodcast describing this. :)
For the Louvre and Rodin Museum in Paris, I made a scavenger hunt of a few works of art to focus on and laminated the pages.
Last summer we returned to Nice and Provence and had great luck with scavenger hunts for places of interest in the little towns, for example, lamp posts, restaurants with handwritten signs of menus; cobblestone street, flowers hanging from window sills; lavendar, outdoor dining, etc.
There are plenty of these on line you can purchase, but I found it was easy to do myself. and reuse the docs.
LMK if you need more details I'd be happy to describe!