Please sign in to post.

Chauvet Cave

We will be traveling from Paris to Chauvet Cave. Are there tours offered to a Chauvet Cave available at this time from Avignon?

Posted by
6920 posts

I do not know, sorry, but I would say that it would be a shame to go all the way from Avignon to the Grotte Chauvet and not do a quick tour of the Ardèche gorge, or, if you like caves, combine with Orgnac.
You would need a car for that, not sure it is an option?

Otherwise, unless you are passionate about prehistory, I would not prioritize a day trip just to Grotte Chauvet (edit - it is indeed a reproduction, like most such visitable "caves" nowadays).

Posted by
1850 posts

The Chauvet cave is closed to the public and reserved for scientists.

You can visit its reproduction "Grotte Chauvet 2" in Vallon Pont d'Arc in Ardèche:

https://en.grottechauvet2ardeche.com

I have no idea if travel agencies organize tours from Avignon. It's about 1 hour from Avignon by car. If you don't have a car there is no public transport only a coach service which goes from Avignon to Vallon Pont d'arc (not to the cave) and which you must book in advance. These are the "Ginhoux" coaches and this is the E15 line

Posted by
8098 posts

This is one of the most beautiful areas of a very beautiful country. The Ardecche Gorge is stunning; the cave replica is outstanding. I'd rent a car if you can. It alas was our last car trip as my husband has since become visually impaired and I don't want to drive. Take 2 or 3 days, canoe under the Arc, visit the cave enjoy the scenery.