Please sign in to post.

Chateauneuf du Pape

Planning a day trip to CdP next month from Arles. Looking at bus connections from orange and Avignon. I do not want to drive. What wineries/ sights do you recommend? Looks like lots of wineries are within walking distance. Also seems like most require an appointment for tasting. Has anyone shipped wine home from there ? I shipped a case of wine home from montalcino earlier this year and was surprised how relatively cheap it was.

Posted by
2916 posts

There are a lot of winery tasting rooms within walking distance from the center, although I don't know where the bus and/or train stop is. I assume it's close to the center. None of the places we tasted at required a reservation; we just walked in. But maybe that's changed. Our favorite was Domaine Pierre Usseglio. There was one producer that was dreadful, but I forget the name. It's unlikely any of the wineries will ship to the US.

Posted by
3046 posts

I can imagine you could ship, but I would bet that it would be pretty pricey. When we visit wineries there, we buy for the next few days, presuming we can carry heavy bottles. I did get a case in Bordeaux in the early 1980s, when rules about carry-ons were much less restrictive. They wouldn't let me put the wine under the seat, despite my pouting. Instead, I packed it in my checked luggage, and a bottle broke. Annoying. Very purple.

Posted by
3253 posts

We took a mini-van tour in 2014 from Avignon that included a visit to Chateauneuf du Pape. I was expecting CdP to be the highlight of the tour, but it wasn't. We went to Beaurenard. The tour was excellent and the wine was good, but IMHO, not THAT good. Not as good as Priorat or Tuscan wines. As I recall the shipping costs were a deal killer - 14 Euros per bottle, if my memory serves me. The shipping costs might be within your budget, but honestly the Italian and Spanish wines I tasted on similar tours were much more to my taste.

I would choose another day trip.

Posted by
2916 posts

We went to Beaurenard.

That was the problem. They're a mid-range producer. I consider a good Chateauneuf du Pape to be among the best red wines in the world. Unfortunately, there are plenty of mediocre producers. Just as is the case everywhere. And the village of CDP is not particularly exciting, so I wouldn't go there for much besides the wine.

Posted by
23 posts

I agree with a previous poster - Chateau de Beaucastel! We had a terrific visit/tasting there and the wine is, of course, amazing. Enjoy!

Posted by
160 posts

Thanks for the advice.
Did anyone take a taxi from CdP to Château de Beaucastel?

Do you need to make reservations. ?

Posted by
1626 posts

We were there two summers ago and stopped in a couple of tasting rooms in town without reservations. We shipped home 6 bottles and the shipping was included. Wine is excellent.