Please sign in to post.

Chateauneuf du pape

Hello,

Heading to CDP next Saturday for a few hours and wanted to see if there were any good lunch recommendation and good place to taste wine and buy a few bottles.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Posted by
28 posts

CDP is all about the wine. There are, when we went in 2019, several tasting rooms near the square. One that stands out in my memory is Domaine la Boutiniere. We also liked Chateau Mont-Redon, which is the largest producer of Chateaunuef du Pape. It’s outside of town so you’ll need a car.
There are several little restaurants on the square that are popular with the wine industry folks.

Posted by
681 posts

La Mere Germaine is the top restaurant (*), but it is pricey but there is a weekday, shortened lunch. There is also a more casual, less expensive Comptoir and a great terrasse. Also there is Maisouneta and on the main square, La Mule du Pape. I quite enjoyed Domaine Olivier Hillaire, (a newer domaine), with a tasting room just a few meters away from la Mere Germaine. We had this at lunch and enjoyed it so much I ordered a case back in the US (their bistro is less memorable). Before you get to the entry, there is Brotte, with their Musee du Vin -- it gives an interesting history on the area and terroir but the wine was just OK.