Please sign in to post.

Chamonix to Milan

About to embark on a month long trip to France and Italy. Complete itinerary is reserved and booked, however I just received notification from Flixbus that my trip from Chamonix to Milan on September 7 has been changed from a direct less than 4 hour ride to a now 9 1/2 hour plight backtracking up to Annecy with a connection to Milan. Not happy with this option. Train options seem to include a bus for at least part of the way.
I looked into flying from Geneva to Milan, but there are no non-stops available and prices seemed high as well as being an all day affair. Also inquired about hiring a direct transfer and was told that there is a problem with the usual route so the price would be 850 euros instead of 650.
Most surprising of all was that I found two places where I could pick up a car (outside of Chamonix) and the cheapest price was 850 euro for a one day rental!
We are only staying in Milan for a one night stopover on the way to Bellagio; so I could give up Milan as long as we get to Bellagio by Sept. 8th.
I’m usually pretty good at planning my European adventures but this is baffling me. Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Posted by
3249 posts

Regarding car rental, the cost is so high because you are renting in one country, dropping off in another. The vehicle then has to be returned to the country of origin since it can’t be rented in the non-originating country. What about taking the bus from Chamonix to Aosta and either bus or train from Aosta to Milan?

Posted by
17225 posts

How about the bus from. Chamonix to Geneva or Geneva airport ( about an hour if I recall correctly), then train from there to either Zurich or Luzern ( 2-3 hours) for an overnight. Then next day take the train to Milano Centrale (3-4 hours) and on to Varenna for the ferry to Bellagio.

From Luzern or Zurich to Milan on Sept.7, you have the choice of the faster trains through the Gotthard Basistunnel, or the slower scenic route over the Gotthard Pass.

Posted by
465 posts

The Mont Blanc Tunnel will be closed from Sept 2 till December, this is why your Flix bus was re-routed. This closure has been scheduled for months and Flix should have been well aware of it. You might look into taking the Panoramic Cable from the Aiguille du Midi to Courmayeur and bus to Aosta and train or bus to Milan. Don't know if you can bring luggage though. Trip of a lifetime though. Brad

Posted by
2376 posts

Train Chamonix - Martigny - Milano is an option. No need for detours via Geneva and Zurich.

Posted by
17225 posts

I suggested the route via Geneva and Luzern because it avoids the complications of the Brig-Domodossola—Milan route, which has not one but two bus links on Sept. 7. Plus the train from Brig to Iselle goes through the long Simplon tunnel under the Alps, so they won’t see much. Plus it adds 2 more transfers from train to train between Chamonix and Brig. (Yes, I know the transfer at Vallorcine is very easy, just across the platform, but it still involves moving luggage from one train to the other.)

Since they aren’t committed to the night in Milan, they might consider taking a much more pleasant and scenic route and see a bit of Switzerland. Making lemonade out of the lemons, so to speak.

Just an option.

Posted by
8 posts

Thank’s everyone for taking the time to respond. I will research all the suggestions.

Posted by
2376 posts

There is also Chamonix - Martigny- Brig - Domodossola - Locarno - Lugano - Menaggop - Bellagio.

Not the fastest, but this is a scenic route, with no bustitutions on the 7th or th 8th.

Or after Brig go to Andermatt - Ariolo - Lugano...

So many possibilituies.
What I would do now is get a Saver Day Pass on SBB For your big travel day. Gives you "all you can eat" travel in Switzerland.