Please sign in to post.

Chamonix in mid May 2016

Hello,

I will be travelling from Paris with my wife. I want to visit the Aguille du midi and the surrounding area. Please can you suggest the ideal schedule. My main motive is to do sight seeing. Also want to know if the lifts will be working during 15th May 2016. Also which is the ideal place to stay and will there be accommodation and hotels open during that time?

Your help is much appreciated.
Thanks
Ankur

Posted by
32213 posts

Ankur,

For the trip from Paris to Chamonix, you might consider something like this......

• Travel via high speed TGV from Paris / Gare de Lyon to Geneva-Cornavin (about 3 hours).
  • Travel via pre-arranged Shuttle from Geneva to Chamonix (about an hour).

This will likely be a faster option than travelling the entire route by rail.

Based on the official Chamonix schedules, it appears that the lifts and other facilities will be working on 15 May. Be sure to budget accordingly as the trip to the top is not cheap. One other point to mention is that the top level of the Aguille facility is at almost 13,000 feet / 3842 M. so if you have any issues with altitude, you'll need to keep that in mind.

For hotels in Chamonix, I'd suggest checking the RS France guidebook if you have a copy, or the Trip Advisor listings at this website.....

https://www.tripadvisor.ca/Hotels-g187261-Chamonix_Haute_Savoie_Rhone_Alpes-Hotels.html

You can check directly with the hotels to find out if they'll be open at that time of year.

Posted by
10 posts

Hello Ken,

Many thanks for your response.

This highly helped. Do you have an idea on the Ice Caves and if they are open during mid may. Also what is the ideal way to reach there.

Thanks
Ankur